It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the world/we've been had

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It's been distressing me lately, to realize, that even with my own share of tragedy and trauma, I am still luckier/happier than most people. At least I haven't really experienced the death of a loved one. The closest thing is my grandpa dying before I was born, and my mom miscarrying three of my siblings before they were born, both of which were tragic and are still very sad for me, but nothing like knowing somebody and seeing them die.

Not that I'm not grateful to have a good life overall, but to think that what I've been through doesn't even come close to what many people have gone through, really makes me sad for all those other people.

To deal with this realization, I've thought of why this is, and how it can change.

One theory of mine has to do with our disconnection and even denial of the Other Side. If one is connected to the Other Side, the death of someone close to you is still very sad, but it is possible to deal with and still live a happy life because you realize that you will someday see them again and they are still with you in a very real sense. If you're an atheist, and believe they are now merely dust, how the hell can you ever move on from a death?

I would imagine a large percentage of people who think life sucks had a loved one die and don't believe in anything beyond this life.

Another reason I think people in today's world are so depressed is because of the demonization of sex. This not only causes people to use sex as a weapon to destroy people's self esteem, but it even makes consensual sex with someone you love shameful on some level.

People are also confused on how to find happiness. Money and material things do not bring happiness in themselves. When you get a new toy, you feel great for about a day and then you just want another toy. Things that bring long-term happiness include true love, fulfilling a dream, the pride that comes with making a difference, etc.

That's what's wrong with the world. If people became more spiritual (though not more religious, because of some awful concepts like Hell etc), stopped being so anal about sex and realize it's just a natural thing, and saw beyond the rat race materialist trap, people would be much happier.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
what do you guys think?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I understand what your going through my life is been so fraught with peril. That I have very little family to begin with and the government at one point in time had complete control over me. I'm sorry for the way things have turned out for you hopefully things will get better over time and they always do.

[edit on 8/4/2009 by Big Oil]

join