It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy finds 4,500-year old skeleton of warrior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Very interesting story in my opinion from Reuters.

ROME (Reuters) – A roughly 4,500 year-old skeleton of a man, probably a warrior killed by an arrow to the chest, has been discovered on a beach south of Rome, Italian police said.

The well-preserved skeleton, dubbed "Nello," was found during a routine flyover around areas of archaeological interest in May that prompted police to probe a fissure in the ground.

"We thought it was that of a Roman solider, but then the experts identified it as dating back to the third millennium B.C.," said Raffaele Mancino, an official with the police division overseeing Italy's cultural heritage.

Story links:
Fox News
Yahoo News

3,000 BC... I believe this falls during the time of ancient Greeks. I personally love studying that element of history (mostly because we know so little). I am looking forward to finding out more about this find.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Interesting stuff. There's a more detailed article here. It'll be interesting to see if anything else is discovered in the area. Sadly, any findings are liable to take a looooong time to be published.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Very cool!

3,000 BC... I believe this falls during the time of ancient Greeks. I personally love studying that element of history (mostly because we know so little). I am looking forward to finding out more about this find.

It's actually a lot older than that. The "Greek Dark Age" started in 1100 B.C., and it was around 800 B.C. when the civilization we think of as Ancient Greece really got started.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I guess we have different opinions on when the ancient Greeks got started. When I refer to ancient Greece (and I did just check - and found out my terminology was wrong), I was actually referring to Aegean Civilization, which pre-dates the Greek dark ages. Time line seems to fall in perfectly with the skeletal remains.

top topics

join