It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper: Bush considered sending troops into Buffalo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Paper: Bush considered sending troops into Buffalo

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_terror_domestic_raid;_ylt=AliI6BgNPOWzDkHiqkfi1cSs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'M5bHRxcWxsBGFzc2V0A2FwL zIwMDkwNzI1L3VzX3RlcnJvcl9kb21lc3RpY19yYWlkBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRwdANzZWN0aW9uc19jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3BhcGVyYnVzaGNvbg--]news.yahoo.com[/ur l]

WASHINGTON – The Bush administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power, The New York Times reported.

Dispatching troops into the streets is virtually unheard of. The Constitution and various laws restrict the military from being used to conduct domestic raids and seize property.

Scott L. Silliman, a Duke University law professor specializing in national security law, told the Times that a U.S. president had not deployed the active-duty military on
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is insane. Let them try that near me and ill call up the local militia! Im sure Obama is gonna try some crap like this and no one will care cause hes not Bush. I wounder if they ever read the constitution? Maybe not since they do all this. I got my guns and ammo and militia waiting for this thing to hit the fan!

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_terror_domestic_raid;_ylt=AliI6BgNPOWzDkHiqkfi1cSs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'M5bHRxcWxsBGFzc2V0A2FwL zIwMDkwNzI1L3VzX3RlcnJvcl9kb21lc3RpY19yYWlkBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRwdANzZWN0aW9uc19jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3BhcGVyYnVzaGNvbg--]news.yahoo.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I wonder why it has taken so long to come out and what does it mean for the future? Lets see what kind of reaction this makes...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W. Bush decided against it.

So, you're point is?

Still hate bush?

Well of course you do, but he stopped an atrocity, in you're eyes. This is to all posters.

So what's the problem.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

And he decided against it, in perhaps the most dramatic civil defense climate since Pearl Harbor. That context should not be dismissed. But I fear you're preaching to deaf ears. Even the wording of this thread is misleading. Bush was given advice for and against the move by his subordinates, on their own accord. The mere fact that he had to decide no, presumably constitutes "considering".

[edit on 25-7-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CaliforniaMilitia

Alright. Let's not get too excited about something that didn't happen. Now,worry that this COULD happen now. Was Bush a demon? Maybe. Is Obama a demon? Maybe. Bush is gone. Obama is here now. Heh. In my opinion he is Bush-Heavy. Not Bush-lite. Just saying................

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

And he decided against it, in perhaps the most dramatic civil defense climate since Pearl Harbor.

Not only did he decide against it and said no, but as the article says several of Bush' administration officials also adviced against doing that, including Condoleezza Rice.

Some in the Bush administration recommended the use of miltiary, and others recommended against it, and to instead send in the FBI like they usually do, and Bush said no.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
BTW, here is the part about who was in favor of military use, and who was against it.

Among those arguing for the military use besides Cheney were his legal adviser David S. Addington and some senior Defense Department officials, the Times reported.

Opposing the idea were Condoleezza Rice, then the national security adviser; John B. Bellinger III, the top lawyer at the National Security Council; FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III; and Michael Chertoff, then the head of the Justice Department's criminal division.

Bush ultimately nixed the proposal and ordered the FBI to make the arrests in Lackawanna. The men were subsequently arrested and pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges.

top topics

join