It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching and Complaining on AboveTopSecret.com/Forum...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
...and complaining about seacrhing. Useful spam this time... A recent complaint using our complaint form....

I found it useful to use the search function to search for all the posts I have posted, but now that it says 2 search terms are required i can no longer search for nothing and get all the posts I have done and review them. It made it alot easier for me if I hve been away for a while and wanted to see where my posts went but cant remember where i posted. Dont worry about a response, just fix it, it cant be too hard, just make it search but also display better if use more than 2 search terms aswell.
It seems some aspects of ATS are going unnoticed. First, finding your posts: Find Posts Button: Below every post is a 'find posts' button that will take you to a simple search list of every post from that author. Obviously, this will also take you to all of your posts as well. MyATS Button: One of the black buttons in the board toolbar is the MyATS button, this takes you to a page with two key features; 1- Subscribed forums, and 2- Subscribed Threads. Each thread in the right forum are threads in which you've either posted, or for which you clicked the subscribe button. Next, searching: The Search on ATS features two methods for searching. One is simple, using Google's rather extensive archive of ATS content, the other is complex, using a powerful Boolean method of searching all ATS posts. The nature of a Boolean search requires more than one search term for reliable search results. Instructions for using the Boolean Search are indicated at the bottom of the search page. The best advice is to spend some time experimenting with these searches. With practice, you'll quickly find whatever you're looking for on the first try. The Google search is also convenient for finding content in the entire ATS content domain. Keep in mind that Google may not have every thread of the discussion board in its database. And finally, when you use the complaint form and you'd like a response, please indicate your ATS username... otherwise, we have no idea who authored the complaint. (This is a copy of the message sent in a Mass-U2U... use this thread for additional questions.) [Edited on 9-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Complain.

I don't think people who can't take reality, should be able to complain.

They stick it to me with torturous barbs.
But I just come back for more...

Am I banned again?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Seeing as how you took it upon yourself to criticize other people's apparent deficiency in the ability to connect with reality I ask you this...

WHAT the HELL are you talking about?!

m...

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Umm. I don't want to sound like a total newb, but how does one complain?
I can't see a button anywhere on my browser.

Never mind. Found the bugger in the Suggestions thingy.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To file a complaint use the Suggestions tab at the top of the screen

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is it a pratice of ATS to log me out when I attempt to block pop ups from this site?? That seems to have happened several times recently.

First, I get a flurry of pop ups, even though all my preferences are set to none. When I check the settings, lo and be hold it is set to "allow form this site" . When I go back, set everything to no, save the settings, and return to ATS, I have been knocked off and have to enter my name and password all over again.

I can't do a search, read a post, and have had to stop a dozen times while writing this question. If this continues, I will just go back to reading the Enquirer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW AOL and Microsoft suck!

And I have a recently updated firewall.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by frayed1]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That pop up thing started happening to me just today. Pop ups and even when I'm just reading through posts, not changing threads, a plague of pop-ups. Blah.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Off-topic, but

HOLY COW, SO.

I nearly pee'd myself laughing at that Avatar just now.

Absolutely Genius.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
SO thanks for the reminders and clarifications.

I think that one of the most frequently occuring problems with the boolean search is the fact that it is set by default to search thread titles only. I noticed this only after a couple of searches turned up no results when I knew they were out there.

Unless this default setting can be changed so that a user is forced to choose an option, this problem will persist for people who do not notice it is only searching thread titles.

My two cents.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by torque That pop up thing started happening to me just today.
This has been corrected. There was an error of some type at our ad network provider that allowed pop-ups to occur for members. They have been alerted, and the error has been fixed..

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Off-topic, but

HOLY COW, SO.

I nearly pee'd myself laughing at that Avatar just now.

Absolutely Genius.

It just struck me, the aerodynamic look, the ability to pulverize opponents into �bannable� bite size pieces, residing in some mystical shadow lair... Skeptic... You're Dick Cheney!

Banned Monkeys, not just for posting at other discussion boards anymore...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That was fast... .thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Skeptic... You're Dick Cheney!

It's time to break out the ban hammer, SkepticOverlord!

[edit on 10/6/2004 by Bangin]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
no offense to the ats but i think google is a good way of searching the page

just type:::::::> subject above top secret

and google search will come back to you with anything it has in the ats

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

It doesn't matter anyhow. I have never received an answer to even one of my complaints.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

It doesn't matter anyhow. I have never received an answer to even one of my complaints.

It does matter man cause if you have a problem it needs to be taken care of it just cant be tossed away like that.. jsobecky you might not of gotten an answer because they havnt read it yet or you didnt leave your username so they can get back to you...

[edit on 29-12-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan
.... jsobecky you might not of gotten an answer because they havnt read it yet or you didnt leave your username so they can get back to you...

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA..the shadow knows. You don't need to leave your name.
I'm guessing it's kinda like email and sending the comments generates who sent it.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

.... jsobecky you might not of gotten an answer because they havnt read it yet or you didnt leave your username so they can get back to you...

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA..the shadow knows. You don't need to leave your name.
I'm guessing it's kinda like email and sending the comments generates who sent it.

Not your NAME your USERNAME so BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA

[edit on 29-12-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
For those who never read the fine print:

"Members are encouraged to provide frank and honest feedback to forum staff. However, please be realistic, juvenile rantings about "nazis" staff will be ignored. Please help us build a better ATS by giving us your honest feelings, along with suggestions for change. Your complaints and suggestions will be posted and we will review your concerns. If you would like a response, you must include your member name in your complaint! Complaints that result in a solution will be posted in a public thread, along with our solution."

There would be many people who have left a name and got no response. Who knows who deems responses necessary or otherwise?

Suggestions and feedback are critical to the mission of all but those who want to stand still and be swept away.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

It does matter man cause if you have a problem it needs to be taken care of it just cant be tossed away like that.. jsobecky you might not of gotten an answer because they havnt read it yet or you didnt leave your username so they can get back to you...

Well, I started off the complaint with the line.."My member name is jsobecky"

I did this THREE times in the complaint.

I even copied and pasted the part of the complaint form that states "If you want a response, please include your member name", stating that the reason I was including it was that I wanted to follow protocol and I desired a response.

What response did I get? Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

The complaint, btw, was over issues of harassment.

Please note that I did not use the complaint as a first resort.

First I u2u'd the people involved and asked them to stop. They refused, and continued to harass.

Then, I u2u'd the mod responsible for the forum. He did nothing, stating that IHO it was borderline. He was, however, kind enough to penalize me for a oneliner.

I even asked the advice of a member here whose opinion I value and respect.

My final resort was the complaint box. To no avail, as you can see.

Why does ATS have T&C if they are applied arbitrarily, or not at all?

Why have a complaint mechanism if it does not result in even the courtesy of a reply?

What constitutes harassment? The definition in the T&C? The legal corporate HR definition of whatever makes someone uncomfortable?

Or something that stifles decent, rational conversation because of the brickbats tossed about?

In frustration, I told one of these trolls to "Kiss my arse" which earned me a 250 point penalty. The troll continues his ways.

At the same time, on the other side of ATS, certain members are allowed to call someone a "faggot" with a penchant for young boys. This member is not chastised, but his wit is applauded.

Yes, I know how busy the staff/admin/mods are, and how this is a private board which owes the membership nothing more than ...well, actually, nothing at all.

But, well.. no, never mind.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join