It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran bans torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Iran has banned the use of torture.
That's a great leap forward in human rights for the Islamic world.
There was an earlier anti-torture bill but it was rejected three times because they said it violated Islamic law.

NY Times

Mr. Shahroudi's statement ruled that suspects could not be blindfolded, shackled or humiliated. It added that a suspect should be considered innocent until proven guilty and stressed the right of the suspect to have a lawyer. "All forms of torture aiming to obtain confession are banned, and confessions obtained in this way have no legal or religious value," the statement said.

Hopefully all countries that currently use torture will follow their lead and get rid of it forever.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Thats good news,

Lets just hope they stick to it now,
But Any change is good change i suppose,

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Give it a year and they'll change their mind about it

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Give it a year and they'll change their mind about it

My thoughts exactly. If it isn't a ploy to suck up to the UN/US that is. I think Mr. Bush and Co.(I refuse to call that man President) scares the crap out of them.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm sure that this is a deeply heartfelt belief honestly put forward to advance human rights and set an example for the rest of the world - and.......that it is not in any way a political ploy connected with the events in Iraq. Sarcasm dripping from my words

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Um... didn't the US ban torture? Look how well that is going.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Um... didn't the US ban torture? Look how well that is going.

It is going quite well; the court martials will begin on May 19th.

I don't think torture was ever banned in Iraq.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Of course Iran should ban torture.
Ironic that they are banning it IMHO, since Islamic Law specifically condemns and says that torture is wrong.
If they followed Islam as it was meant to be, why would they need to ban the use of torture?

seekerof

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
They have the same problem we do, religous nuts running the country. A vocal religous group that strong-arms President Khatami, just like they do to President Bush. But then again, Bush is the man who said "God wants me to be President" so maybe Bush likes it.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You got some heavy duty issues with Bush,eh Curme?
Do you think that he is the only man in a position of authority that has abused God by making such claims?

The Pope can make the claim that he is Christ on Earth, others can say that God told them to do this or that.
Personally to me, its semantics.
The topic is Iran bans torture. I merely contended why do they need to 'ban' torture when Islamic Law has always forbid it? Those religious leaders that you speak of have been in control of Iran for how long? Since the Shah was disposed? Islam is Islam, and its the twisting of the Laws of Islam that is making it appear today as not the Religion of Peace, but to the contrary.

seekerof

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Not so much with Bush, rather than with people, not specifically you, but I see this all the time, who can't admit America makes mistakes or isn't 100 percent perfect. It
seems that with some, the slightest mention that America may of done something wrong, sends them off in a tizzy. People like to point to foreign countries and how bad they are, without recognizing that we have problems of our own. I mean, how hypocritical is it to snicker at Iran because it bans torture? Yes we are the greatest country in the world, but we're not perfect, and someone isn't bad just because they are different. Let's look at ourselves before we go criticizing other countries and religions. And the fact that because of Bush's lies American are dying, gets me upset. He was doing a great job until he rushed this invasion/occupation.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
I'm sure that this is a deeply heartfelt belief honestly put forward to advance human rights and set an example for the rest of the world - and.......that it is not in any way a political ploy connected with the events in Iraq. Sarcasm dripping from my words

I agree with you completely. The clerics can see the handwriting on the wall. They have been disqualifing reformist candidates, much to the outrage of the general populous and the youth are putting up satellite dishes faster than the "thought police" can take them down. I believe they are worried about an all out civil war taking place.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Not so much with Bush, rather than with people, not specifically you, but I see this all the time, who can't admit America makes mistakes or isn't 100 percent perfect. It
seems that with some, the slightest mention that America may of done something wrong, sends them off in a tizzy. People like to point to foreign countries and how bad they are, without recognizing that we have problems of our own. Let's look at ourselves before we go criticizing other countries and religions.

I find myself jumping to the defense of the US quite often in here, simply because I see a need to challenge information that is very mis-leading. I do it to supply balance to the discussion, and it comes across as "My country, right or wrong".

There are those in here that are so anti-Bush or anti-USA that I can predict what they will say about a topic before I even read it. Most often, there is no room for discussion or compromise or concession from those people.

I don't know why I do it, except for a disdain for partisan bullcrap. No-one changes their mind, one way or the other, it seems.

I also don't believe that we need to look at ourselves any time we criticize another country. Sure, we've made mistakes. But we are better than most of the rest of the world.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is excellent news, but it probably won't be followed and, eventually, will be forgotten...

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Its all in the definition...

Is it torture to listen to the catawalling of the mosques at 5am in the morning?

top topics

join