It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is http://ieplugin.com attacking home page?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I got it too.

I'm running IE6 on WinXP
No spyware on my PC.
I did a check with the latest version of Ad-Aware, with the latest definations.
The only things it detected were cookies.

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I ran Norton Anti-Virus a while ago, it turned up nothing. Then I went to www.trendmicro.com and ran their online virus scan. That turned up nothing. I then ran AdAware6.0 and Spybot S&D. Still nothing. I ran RegCleaner4.3 and found nothing odd.

It hasn't happened again since last night. If it does happen again I'll post back here.

I may have forgoten to clean the temporary files after the AdAware program fixed the registry but I just dont remember because I was tired and if this happened it would explain the pop up coming back the second time. I may download WebRoot just to see what happens.

I use the automatic update feature in XP and check the update page regularly. I'm the only one using my computer. I check for spyware every day.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This banner on the ATS main site home page is causing the pop-up you're seeing: The pop-up occurs when you Roll-Over the banner.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I see said the blind man to his deaf wife. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll make sure to not skim over that banner if it shows up again. What really had me going was that it locked me in after clicking cancel or close and it just kept popping up again over and over causing me to close the program by control/alt/delete to get rid of it. I hate that.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I wanted to research this before commenting further about the banner ad above. As of now the banner ad is working properly however, the same banner ad did install an Alxea tool bar in explorer and reset my home page to MSN. It downloaded spyware to change the registry views and keys. It locked me into the above window inasmuch that I couldn't cancel or close the window without it coming back as a pop up 2 seconds later locking me out of closing ATS by clicking on the close radio button (X) in IE6.

I hope they compensated your website for allowing us to be infected by them to the point of having to reboot our browsers the hard way not to mention all the hastle it caused me to make sure my system was still secure because that is most critical for me in my line of work. Thanks to Zone Alarm they didn't get through port 1025 or 5000. I can assure you my computer was free of problems before running my mouse over the ad. What gets me is I didn't click on it, just ran over it while scrolling. Enough complaining, have a nice night over there.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You must have clicked yes. I examined the source code, and they intiated a legal ActiveX download if you clicked the "OK" button. Perhaps you got the code somewhere else?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The code is OK now. The banner works fine, however when this first happened I can assure you that after scrolling over the banner allowing the window to open I clicked on the (X) in the window above. Two seconds later it showed up again after changing the registry and locking me out of IE6 and my home page. I am 100% certain I didn't click the OK radio button. If I had clicked OK then it would not have locked me out of IE6 because it would have performed its' purpose. Something is fishy. Maybe a third party. I'm not saying ieplugin.com... is where the problem originated. I am saying beyond any doubt the problem was not on my computer before scrolling over the banner ad.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I use a Mac, so I can safely examine this type of code without having anything automatically installed. While the banner was irritating, it didn't do anything from an "illegal installation" standpoint. In this case, it was a valid Windows pop-up... so the [x] in the corner would have closed the window... not launched an installer.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I need to get a MAC.

It didn't install. It asked 'specifically' over and over if I was sure I didn't "want to install the program", hence the pop up after clicking cancel or close over and over again, this caused me to hard reboot IE6 to cancel the above pop up. If it would have installed it would not have asked after installing. Possibly a third party hack into your system at that time causing the window to install a rouge program other than the program listed in the pop up? The internet is a tricky thing. Programs that are not incrypted can fool most firewalls by renaning themselves to a known program when using a host computer as a server. I'm not trying to be a jerk but I know what happened.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I need a mac too! LOL! I have had css hijacks and wot not on my system before... they are so RUDE!! and resiliant!! I used ad-aware several times to remove the thing BUT it kept coming back, so i had to edit the registry!! Really, all the thing is, is advertising!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join