It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon won't ban war-zone smoking, despite study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Pentagon won't ban war-zone smoking, despite study

hosted.ap.org

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Smoke 'em if you got 'em. The Pentagon reassured troops Wednesday that it won't ban tobacco products in war zones.

Defense officials hadn't actually planned to eliminate smoking - at least for now. But fear of a ban arose among some troops after the Defense Department received a study recommending the military move toward becoming tobacco-free - perhaps in about 20 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Here you have it folks. No more speculation or fear mongering over the government banning smoking in the military.

If our troops need a cig to relax at the end of the day then in my mind we should let them have one.

They have enough stress to deal with. The last thing they need is having to quit smoking.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
honestly i wish the soldiers wouldnt smoke, but i cant really blame them if they do. they need to be in peak health, but they also really do need a way to relax a little.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

They put their lives on the line for us, they damn well should be able to smoke two at a time if they want. My humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is all about being sensible. In interior spaces, any smoker should respect non-smokers and a ban may be appropriate. Outside though, if an individual chooses to smoke then they should be allowed to do smoke (assuming a that this doesn't give away their position to the enemy, of course).

I agree with the OP, it's better not to smoke but I wouldn't begrudge any of our brave soldiers from smoking.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I would actually like to see them try to ban smoking in the military. It's just not possible right now.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
the least they can do is let you have a smoke when you place your life in their hands

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The Surgeon General's warning on the cigarette pack may not seem like an important threat to people who are already in danger anyway.

When they're out of harm's way then they can worry about the health risks associated with smoking.

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Best of luck to them if they ever try to ban smoking in the military, especial in war zones.

I know what my girlfriend is like without a cig......now add a gun to the equation!

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevedel0
I would actually like to see them try to ban smoking in the military. It's just not possible right now.

We have the right to smoke, just like you civilians do.

I'm sure you have a hobby that I find irritable, doesn't mean I want to see the government forbid you to do it. Unless of course you are not hurting someone else.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by jd140]

top topics

join