It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sotomayor's 'Wise Latina' Line Maybe Not So Wise

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Joe1378

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Actually it's not. There are a lot of things that are obvious to one ethnic group which another ethnic group is completely ignorant of. It happens no matter what your race.

Sestia is not being racist at all with that particular statement. It's true. There are things which only those who have gone through the trials of fire that each ethnic group possess, that another does not.

What?! How can you assume that one race cannot possibly go through just as many trials and such as another? I'm sorry, but it doesn't take someone from another race to add balance to a jury. It doesn't matter if you are Chinese or Iranian. What matters is having the ability to understand and think! Race has nothing to do with it. If someone is ignorant of others cultures and hardships, then they are a bit too ignorant to be serving on the supreme court. A bit idealistic it may sound, but it's the reality of things in my opinion.

We're all in the same boat, and saying that only a certain race can help others is just making matters worse.

Yes we are all in the same boat. However we males have been leading that boat for quite a while. Sure there are hazards in being male, but a man doesn't know squat about the crap women went through to get the right to vote. I'm sorry, you just can't claim that anyone knows that today.

My Grandmother still tells me stories of how men actually thought women who wanted the right to vote had a mental illness.

In the 50's women were no where near equal. So even though yes, we should all approach things impartially, there are some things that women have had to deal as a demographic that men have not. And of course it goes the other way as well...

Only women know the plight of women. Only black folks know the plight of being black. Only men know the plight of being men. If you want true equality, you have to have representation by demographic.

Otherwise you will simply have a group of people who only understand the human condition from their own perspective. And as much as you'd like to think you can assume all of the possible human conditions which exist... you can't.

Although I can see you approach this situation with seemingly logical responses I do have to disagree. we no longer live in the 50's as your grandmother did and women are no longer in the same boat so to speak. Sure we can all agree women were mistreated in the past as were blacks and asians and gays etc... you get my point I'm sure. In the now, equality is measurable and sustained. Racism is at it's all time low, as is sexism. As a person, well qualified as far as I am aware Sotomayer(sp?) cannot and should not be appointed to the Supreme Court based on that remark alone. For someone to say this out loud in a way that the public would hear it shows true contempt for the White Male and further encourages others who may feel it is o.k by the American public in general to be racist against White Males and really have we not endured enough Racism over the last two hundred years?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
For someone to say this out loud in a way that the public would hear it shows true contempt for the White Male and further encourages others who may feel it is o.k by the American public in general to be racist against White Males and really have we not endured enough Racism over the last two hundred years?

Ok, so here is a prime example. Read the last part of your sentence again, and tell me that doesn't sound completely ironic to you. This is one of those things, that as sestia would put it, tend to go "right over the heads" of some folks.

I see you're intent was to say that as a society, we have collectively had to deal with the troubles of racism. And I really agree with you. I feel that we have to let it go. And that is why it is completely reasonable for people to point out something which is obvious to so many other people, but just not spoke about. We have to let go of the silence. We have to learn to see ourselves as other people see us.

And we must ask others to try to see themselves as we see them as well. Only if we have open an honest communication built on respect, can we ever become aware of how we are through the eyes of others.

Until that time, our different races, ethnic groups, and genders will be isolated in their unique experiences, and we will never understand anything about "the other".

There is also the role the comedian plays in this. There are many great comedians who give great insights into the different ways we view eachother... race, religion, gender etc...

[edit on 14-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It's NOT just this one remark that she got caught on tape making. This woman has been spreading the mantra of law by socially active and international opinion for years! That is patently wrong in a country that actually has a constitution as a the sole guide for interpreting law! That's the part of her makeup that bothers me.
That and nearly everything she espoused today in that committee completely contradicts he own writings and case law opinions for the last 15 years. She's saying what she think we want to hear so she can continue on her merry way with unfettered glee in the SCOTUS with no further over site as she would in the lesser courts!

Zindo

[edit on 7/14/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

I stand corrected, thank you

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join