It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Extinct-Animal Clone Created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Sorry if there already is a thread for this, but couldn't find one:S

An extinct animal has been resurrected by cloning for the first time—though the clone died minutes after birth.

Findings revealed January 23 in the journal Theriogenology describe the use of frozen skin in 2003 to clone a bucardo, or Pyrenean ibex, a subspecies of Spanish ibex that went extinct in 2000.

Scientists had cloned endangered species before, but not one that had officially died out. Study co-author Jose Folch, of the Center for Agro-Nutrition Research and Technology in Aragon, Spain, said his team plans to try cloning another this ibex this year or next.

Here's the rest

What do ya think?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I may be wrong but about 2 years ago I believe they were cloning a wooly mammoth they found frozen and intact. I never heard anymore about it but it was a mini series called something like raising the mammoth. The last I heard they were cloning it using a regular elephant. I may be wrong and if so I am sorry

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Interesting... maybe when they perfect the process they can use the cells found here www.sciencedaily.com... ... and bring back something that has been extinct 66 million years.

I know it is far fetched... but you know if they could, they would.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well they cloned it and it died shortly after, and it naturally died out, I think nature is telling us that the ibex should stay dead.

That is my opinion. I really don't see the point in cloning anything.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There's supposedly been other species they've claimed were extinct and were wrong. Sorry, no link. Just what I've heard. Something as recent as in the last 10 years is really disappointing. But, I have heard that there are usually several attempts before they're ever sucessful. Cloning isn't the same as ressurecting a dead species with non-living genetic material.

Not that I know any better though. It's a fascinating field of work. Especially after having seen Frankenstein movies several times and The Island of Doctor Moreau, just once or twice. I've only recalled seeing this version:

en.wikipedia.org...(1996_film)

My recent favorite is the claim of using a laser to transfer genetic inofrmation to another embryo of another type. Which was allegedly a frog into a salamander. If this is true, than we might just as easily do this with extinct species.

Maybe there already is a Jurassic park somewhere?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Didnt they see jurassic park!
suree it all starts with goats, then the next thing you know your running for your life from a pack of angry raptors!
achully. i would fancy one as a pet. i could teach it to eat my enimes.
bring on the cloning ness

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ironjello

i remember hearing that too...i must have missed it as well...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
very cool.

now that this science is publicly unveiled as do-able...

what happens when we ressurrect the "hobbit-men" remains semi-recently found?

what happens when we ressurrect say...NEPHILIM found in Iraq somewhere in the not-so-distant future?

eh?

it's do-able hmm?

what about combining this with memory-dowloading technology?

resurrecting ..say.. Ted Williams?

the possibilities are endless...
I think we're on the road towards a bright future where we eventually will be able to ressurrect anybody...
ie: ... heaven on earth...
(but only after a massive slate-wiping) //ahem.///...er.. yeah..

-

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Perhaps with genetic engineering, they could take some of the larger reptiles we have on earth now, for example, the Komodo Dragon, play around with the DNA and somehow make the lizard a lot bigger than average. Then they could possibly use the lizard as the surrogate? I'm not talking about for a T-Rex or anything, but possibly for a smaller type of dino?
This subject is so fascinating.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
wow, i like where this thread is going!! that WOULD be super cool if they could create a sort of jurrasic park sometime in the future.

Im showing this thread to my wife!! (her #1 fear: Velociraptors)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
wow, i like where this thread is going!! that WOULD be super cool if they could create a sort of jurrasic park sometime in the future.

Im showing this thread to my wife!! (her #1 fear: Velociraptors)

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironjello
I may be wrong but about 2 years ago I believe they were cloning a wooly mammoth they found frozen and intact. I never heard anymore about it but it was a mini series called something like raising the mammoth. The last I heard they were cloning it using a regular elephant. I may be wrong and if so I am sorry

I think its a concept still in progress??

Theres a thread (one of a few) on it here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It would be quite a sight going to the local park/zoo/whatever and seeing one though give it a few generations and such a thing is standard practice then the magic of resurrecting and seeing a creature like a mamoth will be gone. "This thing was extinct once? And you tell me this because..."

It will be a sad day magic a fairytales become everyday life. It will be nice though to be one of the few that will appreciate it if it happens.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
bumping this thread for more flags.. I think it's definitely needs to be majorly flagged..

2nd to be sure

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think what naturally died out should stay dead we've mapped the human genome now cloned and extinct species what happens if we attempt an even bigger animal like a T-Rex let sleeping dogs lie I say but I'm all for the Dodo bird and it's yummy meat

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaNWhat do ya think?

I think they should have started with the DoDo bird. Arn't birds easier to clone?

I would also like to see a bit more effort to save the Spix macaw.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i read somewhere the mammoth thing was a hoax.

we still have specimens of the Passenger Pigeon and the Carolina Parrakeet. it would be great if they could bring those back!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
if they want to clone extinct species, at least clone something interesting like a cave man, would be fun to get some face time with fred flintstone lol

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
if they want to clone extinct species, at least clone something interesting like a cave man, would be fun to get some face time with fred flintstone lol

Or in case the ufologists are right and they got dead aliens, clone a few of those to study their physics.

But offcause thats as far out as the Jurasic park idea....we need to start with smaller projects to learn and enhance the technology.

Discovery channel made a program about the wolly babymammoth they found in Siberia (maybe someone can imbed it in tread?).
edit on 5-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have heard the stories of bringing back long extinct "any creature you want" by engineering the genetics of living creatures today. Here's an exapmle, switch around the genetics of a house cat,switch around the genetics of a mountain lion. Combine the two and you can get a saber tooth tiger,long extinct.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir

Originally posted by DaveNorris

Or in case the ufologists are right and they got dead aliens, clone a few of those to study their physics.

But offcause thats as far out as the Jurasic park idea....we need to start with smaller projects to learn and enhance the technology.

Discovery channel made a program about the wolly babymammoth they found in Siberia (maybe someone can imbed it in tread?).
edit on 5-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

A cloned alien could tell you nothing of extraterrestrial physics or in fact ANY sciences at all. It wouldn't even be able to tell you about extraterrestrial society or culture, having been raised in a human socio-cultural context.

It would of course give us an insight into the thinking, thought processes, and biology of an extraterrestrial species.

top topics

join