It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds injured in China Earth quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Chinese state media reports that at least 350 people were injured and many homes destroyed in an earthquake recording at a 6.0 magnitude that struck southwestern China.
The earthquake struck at 7:19 pm local time on Thursday (11.19 am GMT) and was centred 98 kilometres east-northeast of Dali in Yunnan province. Xinhua news agency reports that a total of 336 people were injured by the quake and more than 2,700 homes were destroyed. It said several of the victims suffered serious injuries.

The quake was followed by several aftershocks. China National Seismological Network reported at least 8 aftershocks.

According to state officials,they have allocated 2,500 tents, 3,000 quilts and other relief materials to the affected region and two rescue teams, one headed by the Yunnan governor Qin Guangrong, and another from the Ministry of Civil Affairs and the National Commission for Disaster Reduction, were en route to the epicentre.

Last year, an earthquake of magnitude 8.0 shook Sichuan province in Southern China killing more than 87,000 people.

Seems like China sure has been getting a lot of big earthquakes.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
BULLETIN -- HUNDREDS INJURED, TEN THOUSAND HOMES COLLAPSE AFTER STRONG EARTHQUAKE ROCKS SOUTHWEST CHINA.
6 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
maybeit was notth korea testing nukes underground.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
well that sucks, i hope everyone is ok.

and to the above commenter, i don't think it was a nuke, i could be wrong, but i am pretty sure there's relatively weaker seismic activity from an underground nuclear explosion, something like 4.7, but that is just from memory, so i could definitely be wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingfanpaul

I cannot find anything about this on BBC or Reuters, I wish it isn't true, you know for the victims.

But we all know how difficult it is getting news out of China, they take a natural disaster as a slight on the Communist party.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
They were hit with another 5.0 quake about an hour ago as well...

This cannot bode well if the previous one did as much damage as being reported.

Everything that was loosened up in the first one was already weakened, hopefully they were ready for aftershocks and not as many lives were lost after this one.

top topics

join