It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP claims UK 'outsourced torture'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

MP claims UK 'outsourced torture'

news.bbc.co.uk

An MP has used parliamentary privilege to accuse the British intelligence service of "outsourcing torture".
Former Shadow Home Secretary David Davis cited the case of Rangzieb Ahmed, from Rochdale, who was jailed for life for being an al-Qaeda planner.
Mr Davis told the House of Commons that intelligence services had allowed Ahmed to go to Pakistan.
Once there, they alerted Pakistani authorities who arrested him and tortured him, parliament was told.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'm kinda impressed that an MP has spoken out about this. It's nice to know that some of them have a heart and soul.

If true, the things that the British government and intelligence service have and are doing are disgraceful.

Torture is not a viable method of getting 'facts'. It is outdated, should never be considered/used and makes the legal system completely broken.

I feel for all of those, now and in the past, who have ever been tortured. Torture goes back into our darkest moments of Human history and yet we still have not learnt that it does not work.

The only thing it does is make those who inflict torture believe it to be right as it gets the results they want, ie, a confession.

I read several years ago that they were even trying to quash the sentence passed on Dick Turpin (the highwayman) as it would seem he had signed his confession under duress (had been tortured into it). That particular case is a few hundred years old.

Why are we still using torture?

Something must change.. and fast!!!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

join