It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So i want to learn to play the acoustic guitar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So from my title you know what i want to do but i was wondering if anyone knows any good acoustic guitars to start with as a beginner.

Also any sites which can help me learn e.g video would help as i find learning from books pretty hard i like the more practical way of learning things. hands on. you will probally say get some one to teach you, however i dont know any one and i cant really afford lessons yet ?

any tips please ?

Thecrow

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Well, don't bother getting a really good guitar to start off with, you're just gonna waste it.

As far as lesson, about.com has a huge tutorial that's actually quite usefull for beginners.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have been a semi pro musician for 25 years and in my opinion you should Actually get the best guitar you can afford. Cheap guitars are hard to play and tend not to stay in tune. However there are some very good cheap guitars out there.www.musiciansfriend.com...

If you are buying from a retail store, take a guitar playing friend along to help you out. Along with your guitar always buy a tuner and always play in tune. If you have a guitar playing friend get him/her to help you get started. Or when you buy your guitar, get a beginners lessons DVD. They are great and also there is a wealth of beginning lessons on the www.
youtube has more than enough.

Welcome my brother to the wonderful world of wire and wood.

In the beginning your fingers will get very sore and you will become frustrated. Don't be discouraged, just keep at it and you will be surprised at your progress.

There are plenty of guitar teachers out there that will get you started for free.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm learning too!

About.com definitely got me started, and once I was good enough I followed a few tutorials on youtube. It takes alot of dedication to teach yourself, but very worth it and very do-able!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I have been a semi pro musician for 25 years and in my opinion you should actually get the best guitar you can afford. Cheap guitars are hard to play and tend not to stay in tune.

I've been playing for over 30 years. I agree 100% with this. Buy the best guitar you can afford.

The rest of whaaa's advice is also great. Follow it.

Welcome my brother to the wonderful world of wire and wood.

Welcome brother, indeed.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I think whaaaaa summed it up very well.

I've been playing for about 40 years. Depending upon the type of music you like to play, having a friend who has a similar style show you a few chords can get you inspired to experiment a little -- find your own style.

For example, I play mostly rock. I learned by going through a very boring series of books which taught me to read music while I was learning to play. I think it would've been a real benefit had somebody turned me on to some power chords initially.

I'm really glad to have learned to read music, of course, but I didn't get really excited about playing until I FINally wandered into chord construction.

About 20 years later, I took classical guitar lessons for a year, and that was GREAT! I play some classical guitar sometimes (Fernando Sor mostly), however learning rest strokes and becoming more adept with my fingering really improved the rock and metal playing as well.

If you're left-handed, consider learning to play right-handed. Otherwise, you won't be able to just pick up any guitar and play.

My first guitar was a Fender hollow body, and it had a wide neck, which I think was easier to learn on, versus, say, my Ovation, which I think would've been harder to learn on with it's narrow fretboard.

Your fingertips will be sore initially, until you build up some callus. Just keep at it. My two electric guitars are much easier to fret in that the action (distance from the fretboard to the string) is much closer, plus it is amplified, and I don't have to press or play as hard.

Good luck and skill! If you're like me, the guitar will be your lifelong faithful friend, as well as ongoing interactive therapy, outlet for agressions, outlet for creative impulses.

[edit on 8/7/09 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

thanks for the site i'll have a look at that

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

well thanks for my welcome

i'll look on the website

just need to pop down the local music store when i get some cash

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
thanks for all the information guys

i'll keep you up2date on my new life

this is another reason why i love this site so much information and experience from the member

Thecrow

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You have some very good advice! Whaa summed it up very nicley.

I am completely self taught, no lessons and I can pretty much play anything at this point. Instead or reading through boring chord books or shelling out the dough for lessons, there is a very easy way to learn that keeps it fun and interesting.

1. Learn to read tabs...it takes 5 minutes, any tab site wil have a quick lesson.
2. Pick a song you hear on the radio and would like to play.
3 Go to www.ultimate-guitar.com, find the tab of your song.
4. Go to youtube and listen to your song for the rythm and timing.

Its really that simple. Learning new songs will make you better at switching chords and its always fun because you are learning songs that you like!

Good luck and have fun!

join