It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft warns of serious Internet Explorer security hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just read this, and thought i should post it, for all that are using the IE browser under XP and Windows Server 2003. Serious breach of security. Please read the following...

11:00AM Tuesday Jul 07, 2009
By Jordan Robertson

SAN JOSE, California - Microsoft has taken the rare step of warning about a serious computer security vulnerability it hasn't fixed yet.

The vulnerability disclosed yesterday affects Internet Explorer users whose computers run the Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 operating software.

It can allow hackers to remotely take control of victims' machines. The victims don't need to do anything to get infected except visit a website that's been hacked.

Security experts say criminals have been attacking the vulnerability for nearly a week. Thousands of sites have been hacked to serve up malicious software that exploits the vulnerability. People are drawn to these sites by clicking a link in spam email.

The so-called "zero day" vulnerability disclosed by Microsoft affects a part of its software used to play video.

The problem arises from the way the software interacts with Internet Explorer, which opens a hole for hackers to tunnel into.

link to story

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm using XP and i'm going to update right away, just in case. Please visit the link for the full story.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Using Thunderbird and Firefox, although I do need to run the Microsoft update.

Interesting must be fairly serious for them to release a zero-day patch.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I hope the creators of my ATS have taken every precaution towards keeping this site free of vulnerabilty!! i think im logged into here at least 10hours a day. I run XP and havnt hadmuch problems. I HATE VISTA!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Yes, i hate Vista as well. I have 2pc's with xp and it's gonna stay that way, for a while anyways. Vista just eats up too much resources and needs too much ram to function properly...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why is it dated for tomorrow?

and maybe Microsoft is done with XP....forcing you to get Vista.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

The reason for that date is that it's from New Zeland. They are like 1day ahead of us... XP will be around for some time, i'm not worried. If worst comes to worst, i'll switch to Linux. (Ubuntu)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Actually XP has been done for a while.
They don't do any real updates for it anymore and they're getting ready to release Windows 7 along with work underway on the successor for W7.
Any updates you get for XP are for the programs that are on your computer, not XP itself.
And trust me, once you get all of the stuff in the background on Vista closed down, then it runs just fine like anyone running XP would. By stuff in the background I mean actually closing down the Widgets and extras that are made for conveniency. And you can change the options in the extras to not come up automatically at startup, it may be a little hard for the technologically retarded however.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Well, i'm comfortable with XP or Linux. I know we can tweak Vista, but i rather stick with XP. Been using it for 6 years now... (so as Linux, on another box i have)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Security holes in I.E.... nothing new there.

I've been using Firefox now for at least 8 years and have had absolutely no problems unless I invite them by my own activity. I have never had the Windows Updates activated, don't see the need to update when what I have runs perfectly fine for many years. And I've run AVG free for about 8 years also with never a problem.

Vista is a fill-in like Millenium was between 98 SE and XP, and has problems too. Windows 7 will be like XP was to all of us on 98. Those who downloaded the trial have good reports about it, so it will be a shame come March 2010 when it deactivates and you then need to buy it or go back to XP.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Great find.
I switched to linux for all personal use, and haven't regretted it at all. I can do everything I could in XP except get hacked easily.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
thats why I use OPERA

unite.opera.com

opera.com

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I changed the skin of my XP to look like Vista, lol!

MS made a big mistake out of Vista. I absolutely hated it because I want to buy a new laptop and all laptops are running Vista. To top it, not all device drivers of the laptops I inspected and researched on the internet would run on XP even if I decided to install XP in the laptop

top topics

join