It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers: Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Researchers: Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed

www.washingtonpost.com

Researchers have found that it is possible to guess many -- if not all -- of the nine digits in an individual's Social Security number using publicly available information, a finding they say compromises the security of one of the most widely used consumer identifiers in the United States.

Many numbers could be guessed at by simply knowing a person's birth data, the researchers from Carnegie Mellon University said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Someone tried to steal my identity once and after two weeks they begged me to take it back.

Actually I am not sure I would even want to announce this as news. Its not like the criminals don't have enough ideas of their own.

Ultimately the only safe identification is either going to be fingerprint or pupil recognition...

and I am not so sure about that.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Someone used my drivers license number and that was all, but it was bad enough.

As far as my social, they'd probably beg me to take it back too!

I don't think there is much secure anymore. With technology and enough skills I think anyone can get about any info they need.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Personally the only way I see out of this whole mess anymore is to simply do away with the whole credit card industry and return to cash transactions and doing business with local companies and banks because every step we try and make our personal information private fails.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
That's what I do. I get both my checks direct deposited, then I go take it back out, pay my bills and use cash for pretty much everything else. I have no credit cards anymore. In fact, this method actually saves me money. I make my lists, gather my coupons, take what I need and I have no choice other than to stick to my list. It really cuts back on that unneeded little stuff that adds up.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is either bogus info or leaked. Think about this, if SSNs are so easy to hack, we need something better, like implants or cards.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Your point made me think. What if they keep announcing information like this to get our minds thinking, then when the implant is announced, we will be ready with open arms for that sense of security. Seems to me, just more brand marketing for the times to come.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The only personal code that cannot be guessed is your genetic code, your DNA genome sequence.

But even DNA can be stolen and cloned.

Perhaps one day our very minds will be the only "secure" place left?

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by opal13

I do the same thing. I do have debit cards though.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Yeah I thought the same thing.
All roads lead to the chip as the ultimate solution.

Under no circumstance will I or may family ever get the chip.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by jhill76

Yeah I thought the same thing.
All roads lead to the chip as the ultimate solution.

Under no circumstance will I or may family ever get the chip.

I wish I could believe that to be the case, but you can't stop some trained soldiers from jumping you and holding you down while someone tags you. If you dont take the cip you are a "terrorist" who is trying to hurt the economy more.

new topics

top topics

join