It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible in a nutshell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
What messages from the bible do we really need to know if we are to be accepted into heaven and gain eternal life? Whether or not we already believe in Jesus Christ , it can be useful to know what the central messages of the bible are.

Like myself, there are many people, including christians, who do not know the bible very well. As some theologian once said, some people can spend a lifetime reading the bible and never fathom it out. Other people can sum up the bible in a few passages.

Many people, including christians, seem to be of the opinion that they can get into heaven, by using good works as a substitute for sincere belief and faith in Jesus Christ. The bible tells us they can't.

Here then, is my attempt to sum up the central messages of the bible in a few passages:

You can only get into the kingdom of heaven and have eternal life if you sincerely believe and accept that;

Jesus Christ suffered and died for you,
Jesus Christ is your only saviour, and that having sincere faith in Jesus Christ is your only hope of salvation. Nothing else will get you into heaven. See John 3:16 and John 14:6

John 3:16
www.biblegateway.com...:16;&version=9;

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 14:6
www.biblegateway.com...

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

You cannot get into heaven through good works alone. Good works are motivated by sincere belief and faith in Jesus Christ. Doing good works without having belief and faith in Jesus Christ will not get you into heaven.
Ephesians 2:8-10.
www.biblegateway.com...

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

There are many who say they believe in Jesus Christ (including Christians) but actual don’t have sincere belief and faith from the heart. They just say they believe (pay lip service).

Isaiah 6:5. Isaiah was a prophet who told of the coming of Christ.
basicenglishbible.com...

Then I said, The curse is on me, and my fate is destruction; for I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of armies.

The rider on the white horse - Second coming of Jesus Christ.

Revelations 19:11-21.
www.biblegateway.com...
[ex]And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
17And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
18That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.
19And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.
20And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
21And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

The second coming is about judgement, when Jesus comes back to slay his enemies (all those who didn’t have sincere belief and faith in him.) The second coming is not about Jesus going around healing the sick and performing miracles.

Revelations 21.
www.biblegateway.com...
This chapter speaks of the Bride being reconciled with god. The Bride are those people who have been saved after the judgement.

If you do not sincerely believe and have faith in Jesus Christ, then no matter how often you go to church, read and learn the bible, give money to good causes, and/or do good work in the community, you will not get into the kingdom of heaven after the judgement. You will burn forever in the lake of fire.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BetweenMyths
John 3:16
www.biblegateway.com...:16;&version=9;

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 14:6
www.biblegateway.com...

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I disagree completely. You mention John 3:16. However, you leave the "believeth in him" open and as meaning only to believe in the idol.

Proof in the passage below:

John 14
12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

You mention John 14:6. However, there is a reason it says he is the truth, the way and the life in the same sentence. What he is saying is that only by those things can one come to the father. He is not talking about believing in "him" in the flesh directly.

Proof of this can be found later in John 14:

John 14

24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

More proof of this fact can be found when Jesus deals with the rich man. The rich man believes all that you say is important, but Jesus turns him away, and tells him to walk the path. Just as John 14:12 says.

Sorry, but Paul and his "free gift" is bunk. The rich man meets all the requirements Paul and you say, but Jesus turns him away. Which is proof that what you say is untrue.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
From the rich man.

Matthew 19

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

20And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

What you say is a manipulation put on Jesus after his death. It is done to keep people from actually walking the path.

And btw, you will never understand the bible without being born again and getting the "holy spirit".

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
From the rich man.

Matthew 19

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

20And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

What you say is a manipulation put on Jesus after his death. It is done to keep people from actually walking the path.

And btw, you will never understand the bible without being born again and getting the "holy spirit".

The rich may have observed the commandments, but he hadn't obeyed them which is why he coveted his possessions such as money. Jesus Christ also gave the rich man the choice to choose between his possessions and God. The Rich man chose his possession.

His great possessions were here on earth, but life on earth is short. Believing in Christ was the way to eternal life. So the rich man also broke the first commandment and all of the 10 commandments hinge on commandments 1&2 - Love God & love thy neighbour (fellowman).

Luke 12:15 & Luke 12: 19-21(King James Version)

15And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

19And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

Ecclesiastes 5:13
13There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt.

The commandments were given to Moses by God, not to keep people right and lawful, but to show people their inadequacies and just how far removed they were from the gl;ory an greatness of God.

Jesus Christ is the only one that has ever lived on earth and never broken any of the 10 Commandments.

Read Galatians Chapter 3:24 The commandments are described as a schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ. God knows that we are sinful and will not be unable to break/keep the 10 commandments. That is why many people turn to Christ.

When Jesus said to the rich man "keep the commandments" he meant you have been led to me, now all you have to do is follow and have faith in me.

www.biblegateway.com...:21-29;&version=9;
The purpose of the law of Moses.
Galatians 3:21-29 (King James Version)

21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 3: 10-11 (King James Version)
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

www.biblegateway.com...:21-24;&version=9;
How God makes people right.
Romans 3:21-28 (King James Version)

21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

According to the Bible, we all sinful before we leave our mothers' womb, because we are all descenants of Adam and Eve. That's why humans die, because the penalty for sin is Death. Genesis 2:16-17

Only by having sincere belief and faith in Jesus Christ can people, at the time of judgement, be cleansed of their sins and have eterrnal life.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by BetweenMyths]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BetweenMyths
The rich may have observed the commandments, but he hadn't obeyed them which is why he coveted his possessions such as money. Jesus Christ also gave the rich man the choice to choose between his possessions and God. The Rich man chose his possession.

His great possessions were here on earth, but life on earth is short. Believing in Christ was the way to eternal life. So the rich man also broke the first commandment and all of the 10 commandments hinge on commandments 1&2 - Love God & love thy neighbour (fellowman).

This I agree with you on. Also look at Proverbs 8 towards what God counts as being of real value.

The commandments were given to Moses by God, not to keep people right and lawful, but to show people their inadequacies and just how far removed they were from the gl;ory an greatness of God.

Jesus Christ is the only one that has ever lived on earth and never broken any of the 10 Commandments.

This I disagree with you on. While it is true that we will sin, Jesus says he is come to bring sinners to repentance. So he is come to show those who make mistakes how to fix them. Moses gave them the commandments, and men were supposed to keep them. As you showed with the rich man above, one must actually follow the commandments. Jesus does that, and in doing so he shows how to do that properly. People before Jesus were not understanding and following them properly, hypocrites telling them to do sins and so forth.

I don't accept Paul, so I really can't comment on the rest. Paul IMO is the reason these confusions happen. Paul contradicts Jesus many times, but that is really a topic in itself. I can give you a few examples if you want.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I don't accept Paul......Paul IMO is the reason these confusions happen. Paul contradicts Jesus many times, but that is really a topic in itself. I can give you a few examples if you want.

Thanks for the reply and I respect your opinions.

I would welcome some examples of how Paul contradicts Jesus.

You say that you don't accept Paul who apparently wrote over half of the New testament. That would infer that you don't believe all the scriptures are the word of God.

Do you believe that parts of the scriptures have been invented by man?

Is the bible a mixture of truth and fiction?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BetweenMyths

Yes, I do think the bible contains "both" sides of things. I do not think Paul is correct, or the one to be followed. I do however recognize his purpose. The problem is, it's in the same purpose as evil in general. As in the same level where evil ends up serving the purpose of good/god.

I should also note that these are merely the writings of Paul at a certain time which were merely accepted. For all I know, Paul could have had a huge revelation after these writings, and completely changed his tune. I myself would be absolutely mortified if my writings were hoisted up and treated in the same manner as Paul's writings. Especially if you were to take the things I said merely a few years ago before I had my vision. So while I say "Paul" and such, I do believe it is important that we realize we are looking at this writings from a certain time period, and we should not judge Paul personally because of them.

I should also note that some things Paul says I do agree with. The main problem with Paul is that he creates false authorities.

So, Jesus says:

Matthew 23

1Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

He is saying there is only 1 true teacher, 1 true master, and to not make yourself into an authority. There is only 1 true father, who is in heaven. I included the start of the chapter, because it describes what false authorities do - look good on the outside, but inside are raven wolves.

But Paul creates authorities, and even asserts himself as father, and tells people to follow him.

15For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

16Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

17For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

Begotten = to father. I am quoting the KJV because I think it is more "polite" than the other versions. The NIV for example straight out just says father there.

9Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.

10I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:

11Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me:

12Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:

13Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel:

14But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly.

Continuing on:

Romans 7

9For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

But Jesus says(back to the rich man):

But Paul says that is the death for him. And Paul says that the law is ended with Jesus?

Romans 10

4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Of course, we know this is not true directly from Jesus:

Matthew 5

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

There are more, but I'm going to post another that goes back to what I mentioned before about what false authority does - aka looking good in front of men.

Paul:

2 Corinthians 8

21Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men.

Romans 14
18For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

All for the sight of men etc.

Jesus however says:

Luke 16

15And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

26Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

All in all, I see Jesus as the sword of truth, and Paul as a holster that keeps the sword from being drawn and used. When one swings the sword of truth with the holster still on, it is not very sharp.

Happy to answer any questions or give more examples. Some have suggested to me that I misunderstand Paul. I leave the door open to that and try to keep an open mind. Sometimes Paul will say things that I find to be really wonderful. However, it's the same thing I see politicians do as well, and is their method of deception. Where they praise the constitution, they praise the nation and the people, but they do so in hollow words and then work against those things in principle.

I have created a thread on that subject:

Sheeps clothing = symbolism and idols

[edit on 7/2/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
badmedia said "......it's the same thing I see politicians do as well, and is their method of deception. Where they praise the constitution, they praise the nation and the people, but they do so in hollow words and then work against those things in principle."

I agree.

Here's another reference concerning looking good in front of others. In my opinion, this is applicable to many people in authority in most walks of life -the church, politicians, social services, media, to name a few.

Matthew 23:27 (English Standard Version)
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people’s bones and all uncleanness.

Some people in positions of authority are often more corrupted and depraved than the people they are meant to help and represent.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BetweenMyths

Yes, and they make themselves into authorities so that people will accept them, and what they say. Authorities are created, and then the people are to follow that authority and accept what they say as truth etc.

When you accept, then you will not understand. Anyone can accept that 1+1=2 is true, but that doesn't mean they understand. It is useless to know 1+1=2, but not be able to add(understand).

So this is why we should not make ourselves into authority at all. Because when we do, then we are telling others to accept what they say. It doesn't matter if they are accepting the "truth" like in a church. It is the understanding that matters. Jesus speaks in parables to bring understanding. He fulfills the laws to bring understanding to them and so forth. So that we know how to keep the commandments properly, as is needed. Not the end of the law and a free gift as Paul tells people.

We can be forgiven, but only if we repent for our sins. repent = change/fix, sins = error/mistake. To change our ways and fix our mistakes. And Jesus saves, because he shows how to do that properly, and gives understanding.

It's all about acceptance vs understanding. This is a problem with education too, they teach and tell kids what to accept, but do not give very much understanding. They are mostly tested upon acceptance and memory of information. Math is one of the exceptions. To keep the understanding away is to blind people.

Proverbs 9

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

top topics

join