It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question for someone that is hindu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I didn't know were else to place this. Mod's please place this in the appropriate place if this is in the wrong spot. I am looking for someone that knows the Hindu religion well to tell me what Suraguru means. Its in the Mahabharata but I can't find the definition or the meaning behind it anywhere.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm not a hindu, but guru means teacher.

www.answers.com...

1. Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism. A personal spiritual teacher.
1. A teacher and guide in spiritual and philosophical matters.
2. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.
1. A recognized leader in a field: the guru of high finance.
2. An acknowledged and influential advocate, as of a movement or idea: “In a culture that worships slimness, he was the Guru of Lean” (Erica Abeel).

I did some poking around, and Sura apparently means "gods" in hindu.

So, what I came up with is:

Teacher of All Gods

No idea if that is right, just what I found real quick for you. Most of the results are in a language I don't know.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomR

Under Wikipedia, Suraguru is mentioned under legendary Chola kings.

There is no concordance between various Chola inscriptions as far as their ancestry is concerned. The genealogy of the Chola family conveyed by the Thiruvalangadu copperplate grant consists of names that are mostly mythological.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I am a hindu. Ill try to answer your questions. But I must mention that my knowledge is limited and I am not a scholar(the religion is so vast, and you learn throughout your life and still dont learn everything).

With regards to your question.

In this world, when it was destitute of brightness and light, and enveloped all around in total darkness, there came into being, as the primal cause of creation, a mighty egg, the one inexhaustible seed of all created beings. It is called Mahadivya, and was formed at the beginning of the Yuga, in which we are told, was the true light Brahma, the eternal one, the wonderful and inconceivable being present alike in all places; the invisible and subtile cause, whose nature partaketh of entity and non-entity. From this egg came out the lord Pitamaha Brahma, the one only Prajapati; with Suraguru and Sthanu. Then appeared the twenty-one Prajapatis, viz., Manu, Vasishtha and Parameshthi; ten Prachetas, Daksha, and the seven sons of Daksha. Then appeared the man of inconceivable nature whom all the Rishis know and so the Viswe-devas, the Adityas, the Vasus, and the twin Aswins; the Yakshas, the Sadhyas, the Pisachas, the Guhyakas, and the Pitris. After these were produced the wise and most holy Brahmarshis, and the numerous Rajarshis distinguished by every noble quality. So the water, the heavens, the earth, the air, the sky, the points of the heavens, the years, the seasons,

Source-Mahabarataonline

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Rune, the copper plates extracted from Thiruvalangadu just states the family history of the chola kings. But its accuracy is not sure. It is because the kings were considered as god in those days. So, it is common for them to be compared to god and praised like god in various poems and songs of those days.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I did some poking around, and Sura apparently means "gods" in hindu.

So, what I came up with is:

Teacher of All Gods

What you told about "Guru" is correct. Guru means teacher.

But Sura is a sanskrit and it has a lot of meanings in word combinations. Sanskrit has different meanings for the same word when used in combinations with another word.

Take a look at this extensive list.

Sura

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Cool, I learned something new today. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

That's how I interpreted legendary as meaning, but it's good to get more of a explanation of it.

new topics

top topics

join