It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rise of the Libertarians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Lately, with the complete joke that the Republican party has become...between a complete loss of their ideology and many affairs...it just can't seem to get worse for Republicans.

They are losing it still, and have an approval rating of somewhere around 35 percent.

Which brings up the question, are Libertarians on the rise? I can't help but notice that Libertarians are getting MUCH more airtime an all the networks and have seemed to turn into a legitimate solution and/or party.

Is the death of the Republican party almost here? I think something has to change, and it has to happen soon, because right now, there is no real choice for most people as many are complete disenfranchised with our government and are angry at both parties.

Who will rise up? Will it be the Libertarian party, the Constitution party, or a whole new party altogether?

What do you think?

Myself, I am probably more Libertarian than anything..if i am anything...as I'm an anti-war, anti-big government and pro individual liberties.

I'm hoping for something new...but the elections for 2010 are awfully close...and I still see no change to anything.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think that they are. Especially in my generation, I have lots of newly registered or registering voter friends who are Libertarian.

The Republican party is just embarrassing at this point, and totally not attractive to people my age.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

The Republican party is just embarrassing at this point, and totally not attractive to people my age.

I agree...they are pretty much in shambles. Mark Sanford puts a big dagger in their party, mostly because he was considered to be a Presidential candidate for 2012....but the affair, which in my mind shouldn't matter, will destroy that and any other chance he has of running for office.

I also think many people lean Libertarian but just don't know it. Republicans are really the moderates now...Libertarians are probably the "real" right.

At least that's how I see it, with the size of government/individual liberties...as we all know...Republicans have been nothing close to either of those lately.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The majority of youth around here are pro-choice, pro-gay marriage... and those are things that many Republicans seem so staunch against. I think I was watching CNN or something last night and someone said "The Republican party really needs to abandon this family values crusade" and it's totally true, because it detracts from what they used to think was important.

My best friend is Libertarian because she feels like her life isn't the government's business. Her family has some money, and she just doesn't depend on many government services. I tend to disagree with her, but my family relies on some government services. I don't tend to trust big companies, and she doesn't think the government has any right to control anything.

We have good discussions about it, but for some people it makes more sense. Generally though, Libertarians around here are more wealthy and self-sustaining. Whereas my family, which relies on unemployment, educational services, etc... feel differently.

Also, I feel strongly about environmental issues and I think that is where Libertarians DON'T have any ground. Many young people want to see new sources of energy being used more, and more control of pollution, deforestation, etc. They want the government to intervene on some of these issues. And a good chunk of kids are worried about people gaining easy access to weaponry, and want government regulation for that.

I think a new political party would be great right now. But I don't think the Libertarians are quite it. I think if the Green party could become slightly more conservative... it would be pretty good.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm an in-the-closet Libertarian myself.

I stand wholeheartedly behind the Libertarian platform. Last time I checked, I agree with every single point.

However, I'm a registered Independent and haven't, and most likely never will, vote Libertarian.

Why? Because the Libertarians, on a whole, are a bunch of kooks!

There are some very level-headed and admirable people in the Libertarian Party granted, however, none of them are the ones speaking on behalf of the Party, nor the ones running for Office on the Party Ticket.

However, considering that the Republican Party has been taking one wrong turn at Albuquerque after another, the Libertarian Party is definitely not the laughing stock of the Political Arena anymore in comparison.

Also, the Libertarian Party has the best of both worlds between the Republican and Democratic Parties, so I could definitely see a lot of Moderate Republicans jumping ship and going to the Libertarian Party while the Religious Right continue to take the Republican Party in more extremist directions. (And if Obama keeps alienating enough of the Moderate Democrats the way that he has been so far in his first six months, I could see a lot of them going to the Libertarian Party as well.)

It's not a bad thing. This Bi-Cameral Polemic that we have in our US Political System is seriously outdated and needs to go. However, as it stands now, a vote for a Third Party is a vote in vain. If the Libertarian Party were to start taking in refugees from both sides of the Middle, it would be the straw that broke the camel's back, and open the door for other Parties like the Green Party, the Labor Party, and the Constitution Party to legitimately come to the table and have a fair chance.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I really like the Green party and the Reform party, but the Constitution party scares me a bit. It doesn't seem far from where the Republicans are right now, actually...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Well my friend...

I sure do hope the Republican party goes the way of White Snake.

The Libertarians at least believe in some principle and do not seem to support picking and choosing what works when it is convenient.

If the libertarians rise it will make Liberalism more stream line in order to compete as progressives need to shake out the tree and get back to core ideas as well IMO.

BTW i will not cry one bit for that big rotten elephant!

Are you Blessed yet David?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I don't know what you mean by that....if you would explain?

Libertarians and Liberals agree in some respects...I just want to see some choices...people who stand by what they believe in so we could put "some" trust in them.

I listen to both left and right radio...and I constantly hear callers from both sides absolutely angry with their party. I think the people are ready for new choices...and not just one. We need more choices!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Republicans are faced with two choices at this moment in time, completely just go away, or hijack the Libertarian Party, it wouldn't be the first time in history that a party has hijacked another movement. However the name Republican is pretty much taboo these days so my guess is the Libertarian Party will not be hijacked and will become a major party.
Libertarians must watch out though, some old power hungry Republicans will try to infiltrate the movement and put their names on the ballots, being a new hope for small government people we cannot allow this to happen.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm most likely a Libertarian as well; however, I believe the Libertarian Party could add one thing to their platform that would tip the scale in their favor and pull me on board.

The Libertarian Party should stand for limited government, with an emphasis on the proper function is to provide basic necessities of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That means collectively we pay the government to defend from invasions, provide food where we may not have the means for food, health care for all, and enforce common law doctrine on the laws as they relate to the constitution. Without those nobody in this country can have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The government shouldn't be involved in anything else and should maintain a check on the states. With this plan you would get government out of every business in America, and run a limited style Federal government that was truly for just the people. The budget of America would be reduced to a fraction of current spending and Federal control would be returned to the states.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I also think many people lean Libertarian but just don't know it.

They don't know it or they are afraid to consider it. There is an awful lot of myth, half-truth and hyperbole surrounding Libertarians and people being the fools they are buy it hook, line and sinker.

Some think Libertarianism will devolve us into some neanderthal state of grunting and anarchy. Others still believe that taxes pay for sunshine and would never, ever do anything to remotely reduce their extortion.

There is a rise among the relatively young Libertarian now because in a short span of time for them each of the big two have screwed up beyond belief burying us in debt and stealing away freedoms not just for Americans but for other nations residents as well. Also, the up and coming generation hasnt had the olde tyme indocrination crap of government mandating morality.

The individuals engaged now are smarter and more liberty minded than at least the last two generations. The sad part is is that those who are currently not engaged are perhaps dumber than the dumbest of the two generations prior haven been brought up into a society that favors the imbecile and the criminal.

An intense divide. Folks wondering where the hell their liberty went and folks who shrug their shoulders and exclaim "it's too hard." The "it's too hard" crowd either vote (D) for the wealth redistribution or (R) because they think it'll get them into heaven.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by mental modulator

I don't know what you mean by that....if you would explain?

Libertarians and Liberals agree in some respects...I just want to see some choices...people who stand by what they believe in so we could put "some" trust in them.

I listen to both left and right radio...and I constantly hear callers from both sides absolutely angry with their party. I think the people are ready for new choices...and not just one. We need more choices!

I meant your "Blessing" that is expected to join your family soon...

And I tend to agree on the rest.

take care

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The individuals engaged now are smarter and more liberty minded than at least the last two generations. The sad part is is that those who are currently not engaged are perhaps dumber than the dumbest of the two generations prior haven been brought up into a society that favors the imbecile and the criminal.

I agree...and I think the main reason is for the internet. People are able to get information they couldn't get before. They can now see completely different views and are no longer confined to the bias of all major news media....which is all corporate owned.

That's the one thing that gets me...I understand that Democrats/Liberals are pro big government..but the very news many of them get their information on is coming from the bias of massive corporations who own the channels they are viewing.

It's not just Fox...all of them are corporate owned. All of them cater to one business or another..it's just how it is. The rights of the general populace is always viewed second.

The political system is completely jacked.

The worst part of all....Lobbyist of all big business are constantly hammering what are supposed to be OUR lobbyist....our politicians and Congressman....and it is blind to party..no matter what hardcore Reps/Dems want to believe.

That in itself is wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The Republican Party is not in shambles. It is out of power for now.

I thought the Republican Party was dead in the Seventies and I couldn't have been more wrong.

The pendulum swings.

I have followed libertarianism fairly closely as a philosophy and I have to agree that this mindset is ripe.

However, the Libertarian Party is another thing altogether. So far, the party has not been able to proffer a single candidate at any level who has the ability to garner any substantial support.

What we are more likely to see is a Republican Party that becomes more libertarian in its focus.

Ultimately, the Republicans will have to respond to the expectations of the public in order to regain power and if the public demands more libertarianism and less moralizing, then that is very likely what they will deliver.

Those who hold to the idea that the Libertarian Party will rise to compete with the Big Two, need to understand the difference between Libertarianism and libertarianism. Understanding that will give you a more realistic view.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So long as you have the social conservative and religious hacks in the south and midwest Im afraid a party like the Libertarian party will not rise any further than possibly a 10% mark. Bob barr as well is a hypocrite, he bowed down to the social conservatives back in the 90s and demanded Clintons resignation over an affair for petes sakes. We elect our leaders to be good husbands as well?

Social conservatives take up a third of the conservative base to which libertarians hope to capture.... and they wont budge.... and the minute libertarians start catering to their needs to win an election they end up no different from the republicans.

I think folks should focus on centrist parties that could capture both liberals and conservatives..... or more a moderate party. I know, it sounds like a mission, but thats the only third party I see as having a chance to compete against the current two major parties.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
After watching CSPAN today,and seeing the idioticy that the liberal left saddled the American people with. When all the details of that Cap & Tax bill,people will call for the heads of the people that voted it in.
The Democrats may have rung their own death nell today!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The problem Libertarians have is that they refuse government on those levels that many find comfortable but still embrace it in quarters where it runs contrary to their own professed beliefs.

As someone who counts himself more Libertarian than anything else, I still have difficulty on several levels... the main one being the notion of a 'party platform'. This is an archaic construct that is held up to assure compliance from membership. But for Libertarianism to actually walk the walk, this rigid set of planks needs to be replaced with a few common understandings... the first being that party politics is half the problem to begin with.

new topics

top topics

join