It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PNG 6.7-magnitude quake triggers local tsunami warning: US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Link here

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (AFP) – An undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 6.7 struck off the remote New Ireland area of Papua New Guinea on Wednesday, triggering a local tsunami warning, US scientists said.

The epicentre of the quake, which struck at 12:19 am (1419 GMT Tuesday), was located 95 kilometres (60 miles) south-southeast of the town of Taron, New Ireland, the US Geological Survey said. It took place at a depth of 35 kilometres.

A "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was not expected but "earthquakes of this size sometimes generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within a hundred kilometres of the earthquake epicentre", the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said in a bulletin.

Authorities in the region of the epicentre should take appropriate action, it added.

Papua New Guinea sits on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire", where continental plates meet. The region is frequently rocked by earthquakes.

5.4 earthquake on Monday rattled Southcentral nerves

The quake hit at 11:28 a.m. and was centered 24 miles northwest of Willow. Lasting several seconds, the temblor could be felt as far away as Homer and Fairbanks, a stretch of 400 miles.

The earthquake was "pretty deep," said Cindi Preller, geologist with the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center. It originated 32 miles below the Earth's surface.

"I almost had a customer run out the door," said waitress Jolene Pate, who was waiting tables at a diner about 30 miles north of the epicenter. "The hanging lamp shades were swinging."

Sensors initially logged a magnitude 5.7, but as more data came in, seismologists downgraded it to 5.4. Several brief aftershocks continued into the afternoon; one registered as high as 4.0.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Oops I checked at the wrong time, LOL! Post retracted!

[edit on 23-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is interesting because I remember a while back that a tsunami on June 23 was predicted, it could have been the webbot if I remember correctly.
Look at the second post here to see that I did know about it beforehand. I just can't remember for sure where I got that information from in the first place.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by bl4ke360]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Yes, I heard that WebBot dude on Veritas show, he talked about the unpublished alta bit, and he sayd this summer is suposed to be the summer of hell, and by summer 2012 no one is even thinking about the 2012 'end of the world' scenario caus every one is too pre occupied staying alive do to the horrible weather..

I heard Mel Fabregas was banned from ats, that two ppl banned from here, I cant understand why, Mel is an real nice guy, I talk with him on facebook and on the manticore forums, his radio show rox, guests like stephen bassett and Emeneger and Astralwalker and that dude who wrote the Terra Papers, cant see any thing wrong there at all, he get s out alot of good info from these guests of his..

new topics

top topics

join