It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U2U feature has been consistently broken for as long as I've been a member.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Ok, I have the day off so I felt the need to go ahead and ask some simple questions about my U2U box.

Why is it that since 2007 I have read all my inbox messages and that damn red u2u thing won't go away?? I have to delete my entire inbox to make it go away. Why is this? How hard is this to fix?? And before you ask me if my flash is broken, it isn't. I use 3 different computers and they all do the same thing.

Also, isn't the whole concept of "U" "2" "U" mean that it is one person contacting another? All I get is advertisements for new crap ATS is doing. Its quite annoying, and I liken it to a penis enlargement ad: I don't need it, and if I did, I'd find it.

Please, ATS, I know you're trying to make money, but I get enough stupid emails in my regular inbox from you.

On another note, I love ATS and I hope you don't change a thing about it

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
That happens with improper capitalization of your user name. Delete or save your u2u's and the red will go away.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

User error is what's wrong with your u2u indicator. Save or delete the u2u in question and the "light" goes out. It's caused by people misspelling or mis-capitalizing your name.

The Admin u2us are just something you'll have to survive.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the response guys! However.......

Currently, the only messages in my U2U box are generated by the system, making "user error" impossible. Unless you're talking about me, of course.

Not really sure how capitalization works into it, but whatever. All I have in my inbox is "ATS Admin" and "myATS" messages, so its not the fault of anyone else.

Thanks again, I just have some time off so I'm being picky. I should probably be out having a beer. Cheers!

ETA: I also acknowledge the fact that I must be a real jerk if the only messages I get are from the system. Looks like all my old friends have forsaken me.

[edit on 6/15/09 by SantaClaus]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Ahhh, when a system u2u stays lit it's because, well, we just enjoy messing with your mind...

Seriously though, all you need to do is save or delete the message and the issue is resolved. I know it's a horrid thing to have to click an extra mouse button but 9 out o 10 doctors reccomend it as good digital exercise.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
To fix the issue

why doesnt ATS simply lowercase usernames in the U2U PHP code?

strtolower($username)

its easy....

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I think I'll just put a piece of electrical tape over that portion of my screen.

We all have our own ways of gettin' things done right?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that maybe the initial sign up procedure doesn't recognize "octotom" and "OctoTom" and "Octotom" as the same person. As far as the system is concerned, they're all the same.

So, if the U2U system is based on only lowercase letters, there is a possibility that multiple people would get one message.

new topics

top topics

join