It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine is the opposite of man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I find it interesting how very soon there will be actual robots that behave like animals, with animal-level intelligence, and perhaps some that are even aware, all made by human beings. It's like there are oganic-normal animals made by nature, then metal, machine-animals made by humans that were freaks of nature.

Thought this after watching Wall-e, where the robot is self-aware, albeit very childish and curious like a cat or dog.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I tend to look at my body as a machine. If I keep it well-maintained then there is less wear and tear (age). If I give it proper fuel then it runs more efficiently (not junk food). If I keep it lubricated and stocked with coolant then it never overheats or suffers from friction (well hydrated with water). If I don't introduce impure additives I never have to worry about cleaning it out or replacing filters (drugs).

I realize you're speaking in terms of intelligence versus artificial intelligence, however I don't see machines as the opposite of man. I see things as a biological machine versus a mechanical machine. By machine I mean something that accomplishes a task or tasks, something that can cause change in the physical world.

Life is what I believe may need a new definition. When we create a mechanical artificial intelligence that rivals human biological intelligence, can it be called life?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

How can man have an opposite?
Everything thing that is, is natural. If it is in man's nature to build machines that have intelligence, is this not natural? These machines are the product of nature. I hope, at least in the foreseeable future that man does not manage to create any form of sentient life, we would merely be attempting to create slaves, the idea is appalling.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

How can man have an opposite?
Everything thing that is, is natural. If it is in man's nature to build machines that have intelligence, is this not natural? These machines are the product of nature. I hope, at least in the foreseeable future that man does not manage to create any form of sentient life, we would merely be attempting to create slaves, the idea is appalling.

man is meat, organic
machine is metal, mechanic

i see quite the opposite... but ... we are also similar... and if possible... the machines should serve the living.. and the living, should serve the machines.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Metallic-Organic…these are not opposite…just different.
Building machines is fine, if it helps mankind…machines that are intelligent? Depends on your definition of intelligence!
Inventing or creating something that is self aware or sentient however is a different matter. We humans as a race have no respect for the life that surrounds us, do you think we would somehow treat metallic based life-forms any differently?
Machines of course are built to serve a purpose but if somehow life is instilled in them are they still just machines?
I see that you use the term ‘animal’ in your OP, are we not animals?
Man should not ‘serve’ machines, that is not why he builds them.
We have no right creating anything that is self aware, we are not responsible enough. The idea of creating life to serve us says it all!

join