It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for a second American revolution in the spirit of perestroika

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

It's time for a second American revolution in the spirit of perestroika

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/its-time-for-a-second-american-revolution-in-the-spirit-of-perestroika-20090609-c25z.html?page=1]www.smh.com.au[/ur l]

The global crisis demonstrates that the leaders of major powers had missed the signals that called for a perestroika. The result is a crisis that is not just financial and economic. It is political, too.

The model that emerged during the late 20th century has turned out to be unsustainable. It was based on a drive for super-profits and hyper-consumption for a few, on unrestrained exploitation of resources and on social and environmental irresponsibility.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
While I wouldn't say the US is exactly akin to the Soviet Union in the 80s Mikhail Gorbachev views are still worth a read . For every case where market based competition has been successful there is a gross failing . These problems also exist outside of the US . Here in New Zealand the end of agricultural subsides has been beneficial even thou the shift to dairy farming as left other farming sectors lagging .

The four electricity company's that serve New Zealand have been found to engaging in price gouging to the effect over charging Kiwis to the effect of something like 1.4 billion dollars over a decade , without having invested back into the electricity grid . An example of successful market based competition is the trans Tasman airfare war . Its to bad that Trans Tasman airfares don't pay power bills .

I could sight other examples but I need to move onto other aspects of the topic . The sheer greed that has seen profits put before else including massive CEO salary's regardless of performance has certainly finally come back to haunt us . Fonterra shameful role in the Chinese milk scandal is yet another example of profits at the expense of all else .

I am not against capitalism or the Free Market . Still those who fail to understand that the Free Market requires a degree of regulation to operate are out of touch with reality . All of this is in the face of rise of the internet craze surrounding Ron Paul and people who want fewer regulations . I don't support price controls because of the danger of suppressing demanding and removing profits that are needed to invest in a enterprise . However preventing company's from becoming to big that they dominate the market place or that there bankruptcy effects an entire economy .

To this end the bail out money handed out to GM and other firms has been beyond pointless , GM is still filing for Bankruptcy . I wasn't fond of the New Zealand government decision to bail out Air New Zealand back in 2001 but at least tax payer dollars weren't spend in vain . The crucial factor is going to be the merit of policy's that tackle our current woes . I am not convinced that building suburbs of Identical houses but I have no certain better idea how to make housing affordable in the land of the long white cloud .

Opponents of a tax payer funded high education system have yet to face up to the consequences of a generation of people saddled with debt which leads to fewer people owning there own homes . Surely a return to free higher education would be a better idea then risk putting people into homes they wont have any respect for because its just the same as all the rest .

[url=http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/its-time-for-a-second-american-revolution-in-the-spirit-of-perestroika-20090609-c25z.html?page=1]www.smh.com.au[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Some good points, however I would suggest doing a grammar check next time... it distracts from the argument.

join