It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calling for better security for computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Obama calling for better security for computers

news.yahoo.com

President Barack Obama is calling digital security a top priority, whether it's guarding the computer systems that keep the lights on in the city and direct airliners to the right runway or those protecting customers who pay their bills online.
*SNIP*
Government and military officials have acknowledged that U.S. computer networks are constantly assailed by attacks and scans, ranging from nuisance hacking to more nefarious probes and attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The government is a little behind on the times with this one. Our security has been compromised ever since we connected everything to the internet.

Makes you wonder what caused them to take this action...

On the other side of the coin there is a threat to our freedoms though, can this new cyber czar have enough power to invade our personal computers?

Is there a nefarious reason behind the government's actions...?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I was reading about a quite nifty device that can essentially turn anyone one into a very skilled hacker with about as much training as is needed to learn how to use I don't know, say microsoft Word...

It's being developed by the US, prob DAARPA and it's designed to be used by troops and the likes on the ground, basically they have just collected all the tips and tricks for things like wireless network hacking, weakness probing, finding user names, passwords recovering data you get the idea.

I gotta have a really good look for a link later, but the artists drawing actually made it look like a kids touch screen computer
but thats the sort of thing you need, chunky, big handles and all that. All they have really done is used all other peoples code that has in some cases been around for years (I am only now really getting my head stuck into this kind of thing - looks like I'm about 10 years too late!) stuck on a few goodies of their own and put it all behind a graphical interface any mug can use.

Put it this way... I want one

But that there is an indication of things to come, this sort of thing is going to be as important as UAV's.... In fact no reason why a UAV could not perform functions like that on wireless networks from the skies with the operators anywhere else in the world.

Maybe America realises they have been a little sloppy - like all other countries - in cyber security and now they are going around tightening all the bolts down so the ship don't sink for a very silly reason!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I don't trust Barack Obushma I think he is fronting for the NWO and of course they want to limit the amount of information access we have. Open source info is a threat to them. I didn't vote for Barack Opigma.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I guess that depends on the direction they take this in. If they say that banks and credit card companies require a minimum of X amount of security or they could be held liable for damages to their clients, or ISP's require spam and phising filters that catch 99.9% of the spam directed at thier clients. These types of guidance from the Czar would be great as it would give companies (like Microsoft) the kick to the butt needed to get them to improve security.

On the other hand if the government says that they will provide the software everyone must use or that they are going to handle everyones security. Then I would be concerned.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Does anyone actually ever wonder what the term CZAR stands for? The description tells all, dictatorship in plain view. This sounds kooky like Al Gore's "I invented the Internet" schtick. Now the CZAR will claim to understand all about the internet, ala the drug CZAR claims to understand all about banned drugs, when in fact it would take centuries of study to even have a little understanding about chemistry. These people are pompous and self-promoting most of the time.

The only argument they can muster happens to be a smashing boot or fist on someones face, they can't face an intellectual disagreement they just jail scientists they don't like and try to do the same to anyone that contradicts them, so I think they maybe creating these powers because they THINK we will listen to them, even if they understand the medium less than we do, I hihgly doubt that will happen, this would be giving politicians control over technology which usually leads to horrible wars and destruction, why take the risk?

Maybe it would be like handing over the nukes to generals? Sounds absurd to me, why give control to anyone at all? Why have so much control vested in one place unless you don't want others to be free, and if they don't want others to be free than they OBAMA and his friends should expect little to no freedom in return, they get what they give.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Czar pretty much means lord of the internet from where I am standing.

It is not a good thing.

new topics

top topics

join