It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans - Would you do it again?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42
Going to be sad if some conspiracy theories turn out to be true, here we have so many loyal Americans willing to still serve and die for their country, but we'll never know if the government are secretly killing their own citizens, murdering the masses, planning attacks with NWO, etc.

It's a shame.

If anyone is coming to snatch your guns, forcing you from your homes, whatever you think may happen, I'm betting it will be some thug in a UN uniform, with a thick Eastern European accent.
Not a US soldier.

We'll let them have it then.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Dooper,

You are very right about this, I think that’s why they (if its true) Know they’d have a serious fight on there hands. I have been so mad at the government for its total disregard for the constitution for over 12 years now, And I hope they wise up soon enough or there will be a bloody revolt on there hands.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Last Sunday, I was talking to one of the nicest, kindest, most tolerant souls I ever met. He landed at Anzio, and while a very gentle soul to meet, he's in his 80's but inside, he's as tough as nails.

In the area I live in, we have many former vets. Ed Horton, one of Doolittle's Raiders lived here an at age 92, just died in a car wreck, We have Pearl Harbor vets, famous Generals out the kazoo, some of the largest former weapons dealers in the world live here, and we are due to get the 7th Special Forces Group in another year or so.

I'm seeing a friend in the hospital, eating a meal at the cafeteria, and strike up a conversation with an elderly man. He was one of those Americans who in 1939 headed to Canada to join the Air Force, and fought the German Air Force in the Eagle Squadron long before the US became involved.

Talked to men at Takur Fahr, in the Khobar Towers, bombing Japan, Black Hawk Down Rangers, and TACP's who helped bring the Taliban government down.

So, I get to talk to a lot of guys, and it is a rare bird that has regrets. Oh, you regret the loss of friends, and you somewhat regret spending holidays, graduations, births, and so on of your friends and family, but that comes with the territory.

If you ever want to see an old man's eyes light up, ask HIM if he'd do it again.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I don't want take make it sound like I am ragging on young men because believe me I am not.

I have seen young boys that could not make a sandwich or fry an egg step up to the plate and make men twice their age look inept.

It is just that a lot of the old Vets grew up in a different time with a different set of dreams and aspirations and had to fight hard for them every step of they way. During war time and during peace.

This does not invalidate the young solider in any way and one day they too, God willing, will be old Vets with a gleam in their eye, stories to tell and lessons to pass on to the next generation.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Our country is in danger, but not to be despaired of. Our enemies are numerous and powerful; but we have many friends, determining to be free, and heaven and earth will aid the resolution. On you depend the fortunes of America. You are to decide the important question, on which rest the happiness and liberty of millions yet unborn. Act worthy of yourselves.

Joseph Warren, Boston Massacre Oration, March 6, 1775

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Our country is in danger, but not to be despaired of. Our enemies are numerous and powerful; but we have many friends, determining to be free, and heaven and earth will aid the resolution. On you depend the fortunes of America. You are to decide the important question, on which rest the happiness and liberty of millions yet unborn. Act worthy of yourselves.

Joseph Warren, Boston Massacre Oration, March 6, 1775

March 6, 1775 - and nothing has changed.

Makes you think. Makes you wonder.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I've often thought if I had to do it over I would only knowing what I know now... I would have made changes...
I regret not going into the warrant officer program when it was offered that would been a sweet deal... learn to fly helicopters... Whole different world from basic infantry! of course I wasn't a ground pounder my entire career.... A had my fair share of good and $hit jobs...

Maybe if I really could go back and start over I'd join the coast guard... same benny's but when your called out to duty people are glad to see you...

[edit on 30-5-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
I've often thought if I had to do it over I would only knowing what I know now... I would have made changes...
I regret not going into the warrant officer program when it was offered that would been a sweet deal... learn to fly helicopters... Whole different world from basic infantry! of course I wasn't a ground pounder my entire career.... A had my fair share of good and $hit jobs...

Maybe if I really could go back and start over I'd join the coast guard... same benny's but when your called out to duty people are glad to see you...

I dated a guy that was in the Coast Guard. It is a lot tougher then most people realize.

At least it is not that cushy job that most people think.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

If I wanted a cushy job I would have become a shoe salesmen. No what I was referring to is the whole rescue op's appeals to me. way better than humping your butt off in the boonies or sitting in a supply warehouse filing paperwork don't ya know...

but those are remnants of a childhood daydream being the shining knight who charges in to save the day... Little boys never grow up we just get better toys!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If I could go back and do it again, absolutely.
Would I want to be in the boots of those in today's messes. Not a chance!

Honestly, it seems to me that we are being pushed into a showdown with the federal government and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of orders to patrol the streets of NY shoot on site anyone after curfew.
I am not even looking forward to making the choice of joining a militia for the defense of my state. But I will defend Americans and the constitution until I pass.
My father, grandfather and I served in the USMC 47 years combined. I am happy that they did not have to wittness this past decade.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
would i do it again..... I enlisted in 1970 and retired in 2000 ...all active duty. Yea, I would do it again, but with a couple of provisos.... i would invest better and not have married my ex...

seriously... it was a good life, and I learned a great deal... and looking back on it...i gave alot and got alot in return... I do still miss the company of other soldiers and the discipline, and damn...... all the toys.

but yea, in a heart beat

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I dated a guy that was in the Coast Guard. It is a lot tougher then most people realize.

Was he six feet tall? You have to be at least 6' to join the Coast Guard.

You know, in case the ship sinks and you have to wade to shore!!

:LOL:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf
would i do it again..... I enlisted in 1970 and retired in 2000 ...all active duty. Yea, I would do it again, but with a couple of provisos.... i would invest better and not have married my ex...

seriously... it was a good life, and I learned a great deal... and looking back on it...i gave alot and got alot in return... I do still miss the company of other soldiers and the discipline, and damn...... all the toys.

but yea, in a heart beat

There are a lot of things that I miss also and a lot that I don't.

I am just pretty sure that a lot has changed though from my time in. Like everything with the military some of those changes will be good and others won't be.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Was he six feet tall? You have to be at least 6' to join the Coast Guard.

You know, in case the ship sinks and you have to wade to shore!!

:LOL:

See now I don't know if to take you seriously or not because he was over six feet tall!

I know that you are joking because though is was tall there were others that weren't.

Coast Guards are good guys and they have a job to do.

Somebody has to do it.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

See now I don't know if to take you seriously or not because he was over six feet tall!

I know that you are joking because though is was tall there were others that weren't.

Coast Guards are good guys and they have a job to do.

Somebody has to do it.

No worries, the short dudes were sharkbait for the tall guys to get to shore.

And I'm just busting your chops!!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Not only would I do it again, I plan on doing it for the next twelve years!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join