It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has it Begun ? Amazon basin braces for ‘extreme climate’.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Is the signs of global climate change started to pick up its pace ?
Earthquakes and storms are on the rise, and now we have this article ..

Amazon basin braces for ‘extreme climate’

Experts suspect global warming may be driving wild climate swings that appear to be punishing the Amazon with increasing frequency.

It's important to note that it's likely that these types of record-breaking climate events will become more and more frequent in the near future," Nobre said. "So we all have to brace for more extreme climate in the near future: It's not for the next generation.

One could easily connect this to the changes that are foretold by others, I do think we are staring the 2012 crisis dead in the face...

Next article speak of this too, what more do we need to realize we are in the 'fase' of Earth change..

Cyclone Aila kills nearly 120 in Bangladesh, India

MISSING

Bangladesh officials said at least 100 people were missing after Monday's cyclone.

Some aid workers, requesting not to be identified, said they feared several hundred people might have been killed by Aila, which followed a less lethal cyclone, Bijli, that killed only a few people in April.

Army, navy and coast guards were helping civil officials and volunteers to search for the missing and pick up people marooned in hundreds of villages, caught in chest or shoulder-high waters, witnesses said.

In West Bengal, the Indian army and government aid workers on Tuesday began an operation to provide relief to more than 400,000 people marooned in the Sundarbans delta region.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I've been keepin a record for about 5 yrs now of the extreme weather patterns throughout the world.
The climate is getting much more extreme in many countries.
Extreme rainfall and flooding.
Severe drought.
More powerful wind and storms.
Increased tornado activity--USA mid-west has been severely hit over the past months.
And you're right about earthquakes, although I would'nt say they were climate related.
We have certainly entered unknown waters on this and mankind I think is going to regret ever opening this particular Pandora's box.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You know I live in Norway, and we usually have our 'tropical thunder storms' in late july and out thru september, but for some reason we allready have had three of them.

The first was in mid-late april infact, and that is way out of sync..
I just have this feeling that this summer will be like some 'people' describe as 'Summer of hell' regarding Floods , rains , drouts et cetera.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I've noticed up in northern America the climate has been becoming milder. Not as hot during the summer and not as cold during the winter during the last few years.

I guess some areas are going to have it worse than others...

Goodbye Amazon Rainforest, Hello Great Amazon Desert

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
reply to post by ChemBreather

I've been keepin a record for about 5 yrs now of the extreme weather patterns throughout the world.
The climate is getting much more extreme in many countries.
Extreme rainfall and flooding.
Severe drought.
More powerful wind and storms.
Increased tornado activity--USA mid-west has been severely hit over the past months.
And you're right about earthquakes, although I would'nt say they were climate related.
We have certainly entered unknown waters on this and mankind I think is going to regret ever opening this particular Pandora's box.

Please supply proof of your records. For as long as I remember and even before then, there have been lots of droughts, floods, tornadoes ect. Yeah Bangledesh gets pummeled every Monsoon season, it's like one foot above sea level, slight exaggeration:

Most parts of Bangladesh are less than 12 metres (39 ft) above the sea level, and it is believed that about 50% of the land would be flooded if the sea level were to rise by a metre (3 ft).[43]

That's the thing about weather, it's never static, it does go in boom and bust cycles. Nothing new there. You don't hear me preaching about how hurricanes have been nothing for the past couple years.... soon they will pick up in quantity and intensity..... that's what weather does.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The Amazon area is a mess and a half allright.

When (not if) that ecosystem collapses, it will be the planetary equivalent of losing a chunk of a lung: that area is responsible for a huge percentage of the oxygen released in the world. Once enough of it is logged out, a critical mass point will be reached and the forest won't be able to generate enough moisture. The trees will die, dry, and probably burn to the ground in an orgy of CO2 release.

Another thing people don't realize about the Amazon is that the deforestation is not like "taking bites out of a cookie," nibbling around the edges. Rather, loggers are cutting hudge swaths through the middle of the thing, setting up networks of transport roads and highways that crisscross it from one edge to another. There are literally hundreds of millions of viruses, bacteria, and other microscopic organisms in there that humanity has never before encountered. It is statistically almost certain that a mega-epidemic will emerge from the Amazon as humanity gets a facefull of new viroids we've never been exposed to or developed imunity for.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

When (not if) that ecosystem collapses, it will be the planetary equivalent of losing a chunk of a lung: that area is responsible for a huge percentage of the oxygen released in the world. Once enough of it is logged out, a critical mass point will be reached and the forest won't be able to generate enough moisture. The trees will die, dry, and probably burn to the ground in an orgy of CO2 release.

Another thing people don't realize about the Amazon is that the deforestation is not like "taking bites out of a cookie," nibbling around the edges. Rather, loggers are cutting hudge swaths through the middle of the thing, setting up networks of transport roads and highways that crisscross it from one edge to another. There are literally hundreds of millions of viruses, bacteria, and other microscopic organisms in there that humanity has never before encountered. It is statistically almost certain that a mega-epidemic will emerge from the Amazon as humanity gets a facefull of new viroids we've never been exposed to or developed imunity for.

Eek. Is there any hope?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Amazon area ecosystem collapse they brought it on themselves.

Cause by climate change not as likely as it being caused by very large scale deforestation.

Deforestation on the scale they have done to the amazon has affected the climate around the world by decreasing the CO2 sink that the amazon rain-forest was.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Originally posted by silent thunder

Eek. Is there any hope?

There's always hope...the hole in the ozone layer is actually much smaller than it was 20 years ago becase we did the right thing: enacted a universal ban on certain CFCs and aerosals in almost every country on the panet. Otherwise we'de be feeling the impacts much more innensely at the moment, if we'd dome nothing. Its a great exampple of people coming to gethert to actiallydo the right thing for once.

[edit on 6/4/09 by silent thunder]

top topics

join