It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the New York GOP should embrace gay marriage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Marriage usually results in tax breaks. How would gay marriage raise more income? I am not against gay couples getting tax breaks or other protections, like death benifits etc., but Civil Unions take care of that.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Well that's a reply I certainly agree with.

My point exactly, why do people care if they are't homosexuals? Same-Sex marriage only affects same-sex couples.

And it is a big waste of potential revenue. Just look at California after they legalized same sex marriage, they were making billions in people getting married.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

but Civil Unions take care of that.

Again, this is a false assumption. Civil Unions do not offer all of the same rights, and it varies depending on the state, and most states don't even have CUs to begin with.

Edit to add (going out for the day, promise to reply to any response later on, will enjoy continuing this debate)

[edit on 23-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Honestly, the GOP should, and probably will, die a horrific and terrible public death. I'd suggest that the majority of the fiscal conservatives (moderates do not fall in this category) would be pleased by this and the social conservatives should like it.

It would lead to the utter destruction of the Democrats due to the lack of any opposition.

Will this happen? Maybe. I suppose it depends on whether or not the professional wrestling nature of modern politics will be maintained despite all opposition by tptb.

What does this have to do with the article? Everything I think.

Gay marriage is a poor position for the GOP to support or oppose really.

I put the blame on both sides for framing the debate so poorly that reason and rationality almost completely evacuate the scene of most debates on this topic.

The government really has no need to promote any sort of certain lifestyle in particular since being married or unmarried is reasonably the same. The prime difference is children, and those mechanisms are already in place.

I would suggest we simply allow for people to, via contract, become family members in the eyes of the government. This would remove "marriage" entirely and get the religious off the homosexual's back about it and would also allow for polygamy (which to my knowledge is no more or less religiously correct than having one husband or wife).

Little McCain is as confused and intellectually honest as her father. Neither really do the GOP any good as the moderates and social conservatives have devolved Lincoln and Reagan's GOP into a pack of old school Democrats (and in my opinion utter fools).

Homosexuals - In my opinion you are fighting the battle in entirely the wrong direction, or at least your "spokesman" are.

Opposition - Give over already. The "battle" with a small fraction of society is generally of little value. Marriage is already in the crapper thanks to drive-thru divorce and loads of weak people with an easy way out.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I wish they would give the gays the right to marry so i won't hear this crap anymore. heck while we're at it lets legalize marriage between a man and a tree...i'm sure there are some weirdos out there that like that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join