It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Taliban flogging girl stirs anger in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Taliban beats and flogs girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.latimes.com

Reporting from Istanbul, Turkey, and Islamabad, Pakistan -- Face down before a crowd, the teenage girl shrieks and writhes, begging for mercy. But the three masked men holding her down merely tighten their grip while a fourth man whips her again and again.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 17 May 09 by Gools]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
These scum make me sick!!!!

With their sick religous ways on how they treat women,,,

burning 200 schools down,,throwing acid in womens faces...

be-heading anyone who dissagrees with them...

I hope Pakistan wakes up!!!

Theres no way one can make peace with them giving them a territory they can roam free in,!!!

They want to live in the dark ages but sure like their cell phones and high tech weapons!!!

Normally I stick to fun topics but this news makes me sick!!!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-5-2009 by amyfriend]

[edit on 17-5-2009 by amyfriend]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
www.latimes.com

Under the February truce, the Taliban were to cease hostilities and in return the provincial government permitted them to set up Islamic courts to enforce their version of Sharia law.

This is very odd. They'd cease hostilities in return for what? The Taliban's methods of sharia law enforcment is hostile by default. What kind of truce is that? Thats like saying to a burglar "I promise I won't charge you with theft so long as you let me give you all my stuff" or "Stop hitting yourself!"

Good on the girl for not giving in to them (if thats what happened).

[edit on 17-5-2009 by riley]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I agree OP but I for one tend to not believe anything I read about Al queada, Osam bin Bush or the Taliban without full extensive searching.

For example do you know personally the 300+ people who were killed in pakistan last week after heavy fighting? I don't, but the authorities say they were the taliban so I guess thats ok?

Its a little strange isn't it how the US have decided to embrace Pakistan as an ally recently yet 6 months ago they classed them as a threat?

Its easy to be played but not so easy if you know the rules.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Although this video was released almost a month ago, it is still relevant, as the circumstances which allow this behavior continue, and are likely to do so until something VERY radical happens in our world.

Although the video shows Taliban style justice, it is actually indicative of an aspect of Islam, not just something particular to the Taliban. Within this decade we still have numerous reports of women being murdered for wearing western clothing (Algeria), for not being sufficiently covered (Egypt), for allowing oneself to be raped (Saudi Arabia), for adultelry (Iran), and for refusing to obey Koranic laws (Indonesia). Add onto this similar brutalities against people in general for various Koranic infractions exhibited throughout the Islamic world, and it is undeniable that there is an ongoing system of intolerance and brutality that is linked to this religion. However, the bigger problem here is that these actions are either condoned by the governments, or only marginally criticized.

When these sort of things now happen in western nations, we can usually attribute them to fringe religious cults, or corrupt localized governments. Also, when these actions become public there is overwhelming disapproval and subsequent attempts to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Of course this wasn't always the case. In the US, post civil war violence against negroes was so bad and indemnic that it took nearly a century more to combat and extinguish it. In Great Britian, perhaps similar things could be said of English-Irish conflict. In Spain and Italy, there were the fascists. While in Germany, nearly an entire population threw in with a doctrine of inhumanity. So we must remember that our current set of values have taken a long time to form, enforce, and gain near universal acceptance within the west. Indeed, without intending to divert this thread, we can view the 'torture' activities at Gitmo and Abu Ghareb as backsliding, and hopefully the last events in our long catharisis to expel these antithetic demons from our culture.

I have just recalled this history to emphasize a point. That point is that each 'culture' develops its norms based on a long history of pressures, internal and external.

Because Islam existed for so long in parts of the world that were remote and consequently 'backwards', they have not had the benefit of being challanged in their beliefs. Up until very recently, the rest of the world was merely interested in keeping the oil flowing (no oil? no interest). Internally, existing pressures were really about what form of dictatorship would flourish.

Since 911, the rest of the world has become much more familiar with Islam in all its various aspects, and are slowly coming to the conclusion that we don't like or accept what we see. This conclusion is particularly unpleasant because the post-911 world demands that we simply can not ignore it any longer. The question now becomes, so what are we going to do about it?

None of our choices are easy, and many could very well cause us to challange our own values, determination, and will power. In fact, I would argue that this is EXACTLY what Osama had in mind when he acted against us: a grand clash and test of cultures. Our humanitarian values and technology vs. their dogmatism and sheer expansiveness. The modern world can not tolerate the existance of such polar opposite belief systems.

SO, short of nuking out Islam, which is clearly not an option that west should or could make (and still be us), that leaves us with only one option. That option is one of continued and gradual embrace, where we must insist on and encourage the modernization of Islamic tenets.

The best way to do that? Well, its no really no secret: to inspire someone (or a people) you must lead by example, and live up to your own laws and values. And that my fellow ATS members is the real challange before us today, and into the future.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sashromi

Hi,,,that was very well put...

I guess religions/people all evlove in some way and hopefully for the better...

I know we cant do a whole lot to do an overnight change on them or even us for the matter on how we think...

the religion seems more like a regime....

I know these horrors have been going on for many years over there and we never hear about it......

and your right on mentioning iran,saudi arabia,algeria and even so in N. Korea..

I know no one nor every country is perfect and one can make examples of many bad things on all...

those Islamic Taliban spread like a disease and force their ways upon innocents.
They fund themselves also by doing kidnappings and robberies also...

In a way its an example on how a few try and controll the mass's...

The only hope is that the good people of Islam should put their foot down on these idiots who turn their religion into slime..

I usually like to stick to fun topics,, but sometimes Its good to speak one's mind.

thanks for your reply!!!

your right,,we must always try to be our best and do good...

top topics

join