It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama names GOP Governor Huntsman Ambassador to China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Obama names GOP Governor Huntsman Ambassador to China

www.huffingtonpost.com

PPresident Barack Obama reached across the political divide Saturday and named Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, a possible GOP White House contender and top John McCain supporter, to the sensitive diplomatic post of U.S. ambassador to China.

With the selection, Obama may have sidelined a potentially formidable moderate Republican from the 2012 presidential field. For Huntsman, it's a chance to burnish his credentials and position himself as a viable hopeful _ perhaps for 2016 if Obama is seen as a strong candidate for a second term in 2012.

Fluent in Mandarin Chinese from his days as a Mormon missionary in Taiwan, the 49-year-old Huntsman is a popular two-term governor who served in both Bush administrations and was national co-chairman of Arizona Sen. McCain's campaign against Obama last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The article goes on to quote Gov. Huntsman as saying something the rabid right should pay attention to:

Huntsman said he never expected "to be called into action by the person who beat us. But I grew up understanding that the most basic responsibility one has is service to country. When the president of the United States asks you to step up and serve in a capacity like this, that to me is the end of the conversation and the beginning of the obligation to rise to the challenge.

I wonder if mush loosebowels has the gonads to take a stand like that instead of constantly posturing that he is the true patriot?

Be that as it may its an excellent choice and more importantly an excellent response... one that should be emulated regardless of party.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This is a good story in both meanings of the word and very positive in these days of rabid partisanship.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I guess if you are having a hard time finding a Democrat that actually paid his taxes, you have no choice but to pick a Republican?

The guy speaks fluent Chinese and is Democrat Lite, as in a moderate, so this is a good pick for Obama.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Despite what you like to think RR most people are not extremists... and when you are dealing in international diplomacy you certainly don't want a fanatic.

new topics

top topics

join