It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama retains Bush-era military tribunals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

President Barack Obama has revived Bush-era military tribunals for top Guantanamo Bay terror suspects that he once branded a "failure," but proposed new rules on evidence and detainee rights.
source

Well, there you have it. The detainees are apparently going to get a trial. I don't have any suggestions as to what to do with them, and something needs to be done, so this isn't a particularly bad thing. Some modifications have been added to the trial process,

Statements using CIA interrogation methods that are "cruel, inhumane and degrading" -- since outlawed by Obama -- will no longer be admitted as evidence.

TA

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Another article on the subject here.

Human rights groups reacted with anger and disappointment Friday to President Barack Obama's revival of special military trials of terror suspects, saying the system was flawed beyond repair.

My question is: what else was he supposed to do? I usually don't defend obama, but he is being pressured to do something about the situation (specifically giving them a fair trial), and when he finally does he catches flack for it. What gives?

TA

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't defend him either, but you're right, what else can he do?
Guess things look a lot different when you get briefed on everything and finally realize things are not what you thought they were.
Seems the new boss is doing the same things as the old boss yet his approval ratings are very high. If that ain't major hypocrisy I don't know what is.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Seems the new boss is doing the same things as the old boss yet his approval ratings are very high.

Don't be fooled by his so-called approval ratings.
They are no more than what Bush's were at this time in his tenure.
Furthermore, ratings are based off polling numbers and we should ALL know that polling numbers can be manipulated in various ways and means.
Additionally, his approval numbers are steadily dropping.

Be assured, he keeps on the agenda path he currently is going, his approval ratings will continue to tank.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Let me be (one of?) the first to say this:

Obama lied and the Gitmo detainees got tried (by military tribunals).

new topics

top topics

join