It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Russian Tank in 2009 Parade?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Does anyone know this tank in Red Square parade?

www.reuters.com...=2

- Is it some totally new design? --- If someone can lighten me with this... Thanks!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
looks to me like a variant of the 2s1 Gvozdika

a self propelled artillery vehicle
en.wikipedia.org...

i know there are differences but to me it appears only slight and possibly just a variant of course

it claims it is an amphibious capable vehicle, entered service in the early 70's

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah.

Nice design but I don't think it's MBT. Good eye Muzzle

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It seems the 2S1 has scoops on the front corners where the parade tank does not.

It also seems like the turret is different where it meets the body as well.

It may just be a variation of the 2S1.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think that it is a version of this (2S25 Sprut-SD):
www.military-today.com...
www.army-guide.com...
Edit - forgot to write a name.

[edit on 9-5-2009 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Nice way to intimidate the people watching the parade.

'Go against us- *Tank Rumbles along* This is what you're going up against.'

A year or two ago in south-western BC, Canada we had an civilian-owned weapons-disabled, early cold-war era soviet tank in a small parade.

In the local 'North Shore News' news article, two old timer immigrants from one of the Eastern Soviet controlled countries where the tank saw service in its post WW2 days recalled those type of tanks chasing them down streets in their hometown during their youth. They weren't protesting the tank's appearance in the 'neighbourhood' parade, simply stating a passing observation.

However some people weren't comfortable, saying the tank had no place in the parade.

I was on the fence, I thought the tank was a kind of novelty, a private showcase by the owner.

Back to this subject, where are the colourful floats, why showcase military might in a backdrop of black, white, and grey?

What's the purpose of this militaristic display?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Russians are celebrating end of WW2 on 9/5. So i guess that it is done now by a military parade. How the Beatles song went? "Back in the USSR"....

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
reply to post by star in a jar

Russians are celebrating end of WW2 on 9/5. So i guess that it is done now by a military parade. How the Beatles song went? "Back in the USSR"....

It isnt done "now" with a military parade. It always was like this!

From the first parade in 1945 to the one this year, it always have been done this way. Its a tradition and not a show off agression or force! The only things that have changed are the dates, uniforms and vehicles.

Tank in question is the 2S25 Sprut SD light tank that can be airdropped and is amphibious. It sports a 125mm tank gun from the T- tank series and its chassis is from a BMD-3/4.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

I agree with model and info from Tank - and get well answers to my question.

Thanks to all my friends!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by James R. Hawkwood

It isnt done "now" with a military parade.

You are wrong. First of all, Stalin did it only once,as far as i know. Communism did not won, after all. Only Russia.
Then after 1965 those military parades were every year. Until fall of Soviet union. And since then to 2008 there were no tanks. It is back to the USSR.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

You are wrong. First of all, Stalin did it only once,as far as i know. Communism did not won, after all. Only Russia.
Then after 1965 those military parades were every year. Until fall of Soviet union. And since then to 2008 there were no tanks. It is back to the USSR.

Not to get off topic here, but the whole point of the parade is to aknowledge the immense pride and respect Russia's citizens have for the brave men and women who defeated the Nazi's in WWII.

The parade is a time honored tradition and a patriotic event for Russia. It is not a platform to showcase millitary might or to support political interests as your post seems to suggest. There are other events for these occasions.

It saddens me that the U.S. does not promote more awareness and educational work in regards to WWII, and most people don't even know that a victory day exists.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledgeYou are wrong. First of all, Stalin did it only once,as far as i know.

LOL!. I did not say that Stalin did it multiple times so what are you bashing me about?

Communism did not won, after all. Only Russia.

Communism has nothing to do with it and the Soviet Union won, not Russia alone...

People from Russia, the Ukraine, Bello Russia, Kazachstan, Georgia and many other Soviet republics worked together in unison to expell the Nazi-Germans.

Then after 1965 those military parades were every year. Until fall of Soviet union.

20 years of no parades? Seems like Stalin didnt want to remember the victory over a dictatorial power because it would give people @ home some crazy idea's and that this is a result from de-Stalinisation. And offcourse picking a fine date to restart the Parade.

And since then to 2008 there were no tanks. It is back to the USSR.

That is due to monetary restrictions and when enough money is there to do these parades, they are picked up due to historical and traditional reasons...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquidus

It saddens me that the U.S. does not promote more awareness and educational work in regards to WWII, and most people don't even know that a victory day exists.

It states that he is from Israel.

Whats with the jab at the US? I'm an American. I understand completely what the deal is behind the parades.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Does anyone know this tank in Red Square parade?

www.reuters.com...=2

- Is it some totally new design? --- If someone can lighten me with this... Thanks!

I have never seen that thing before but it looks more like an Artillery design then a Main Battle Tank.

The Russians are really cranking out new weapons systems like crazy so that there are new tank like entities out there is not a surprise.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cunnobar the SlayerI have never seen that thing before but it looks more like an Artillery design then a Main Battle Tank.

The Russians are really cranking out new weapons systems like crazy so that there are new tank like entities out there is not a surprise.

2S25.

Look it up in my first post in this thread for more info.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The turret look fixed?

Oh, "Hi"! Haven't posted in quite some time

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
The turret look fixed?

Might appear that way but it isnt. It can slew 360 degrees just like any other tank.

It is straight in that picture due to being participant in the Parade.

new topics

top topics

join