It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family bug out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Newbie question here, long time lurker.

I have finally decided to make a BOB for sitX. My problem is this:

I want to have my family prepared as well and they all laugh at my paranoia. I have decided that even though they don't feel the need, I'm going to prepare BOBs for my parents and two younger siblings.

Now...
Should I have two BOB's with the SAME supplies to last for the family, or have each member have their own individual BOB? Should each member be responsible for having specific items like my youngest brother carrying medical supplies, middle brother carring dehydrated food and drink items, my mother carrying clothes and my father carrying tools?

What do you think is the best way to go about this?

Thank you!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
First figure out what you think would be necessary for someone to survive on their own and put this as the first priority in the bags. Once you have basic individual kits prepared then look into breaking up the group survival items, things that would be nice and make things easier but non-essential to individual survival. I say this because in the event one member of the group goes missing/etc then you won't be up the creek because they were carrying the medical supplies.

You also should take into account the ages of the people carrying the packs and use that to prioritize further; much younger children are best given light things that are not as critical to safeguard.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Anything important to survival should be in all of the packs. On paper spreading the load with little or no overlap seems like a good idea but should you become separated or lose an individual you'll be hurting.

Done right there shouldnt be any room for 'luxury' type nonsense but if you absolutely must carry something unnecessary to survival you could get away with spreading it across multiple packs.

Each member of the unit should be able to survive and function independent of the unit.

Of course what you're prepping you B.O.B. for would change all of what I just said.

Map, compass, firestarting supplies, multi-tool/knife, a couple boxes of ammo and depending on your long-term plan an amount of non-perishable quick-fix food stuffs. I keep a weeks worth. And a change of clothes. Socks are very important.

Bag, rifle, go.

Keep in mind "bugging out" is a transitional state either getting away from a place or to a place. You shouldnt expect to build a new life for yourself from a B.O.B..

Once you're set grab it one weekend and go "camping" with just it. You'll learn a lot about what you have in that bag that you don't need and what you don't need that you have in that bag. I like to go where I can do some small-game hunting and pop a couple of squirrel onto the 'rotisserie.' Sometimes I get enough from scavenging and hunting I never need my packed food. Other times I go through all my food and walk out of the woods hungry.

You never know whats going to happen so dont expect your unit will stay together.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautyfrompain
Newbie question here, long time lurker.
I want to have my family prepared as well and they all laugh at my paranoia. I have decided that even though they don't feel the need, I'm going to prepare BOBs for my parents and two younger siblings.

You don't have to be paranoid to plan in advance for emergencies. There are a ton of government sponsored websites, ad campaigns, and pamphlets that may help you convince your family.

I am in Florida and there are radio ads, bill boards, etc. Even the grocery stores here stock up and market things related to hurricane season.

The NE and Upper Midwest people prepare for ice storms, power outtages, road closures, Floods, etc.

The West Coast prepares for Santa Anna, Wildfires, Earthquakes, Mudslides, etc.

Midwest gets it all, Tornadoes, Heat Waves, Ice Storms, Floods, you name it.

Everyone should have supplies to live, at the very least, 1-week in a survival situation! The bug-out-bag goes along with that, because you could be forced out of your home with very little time to prepare. (IE. A train derailment in TN/KY forced about a thousand homeowner's out for several days because of possible toxic chemicals.)

If you are one of the subordinates of the family, you have taken a huge leap of responsibility, and IMO deserve a lot of respect for bringing this to your family's attention. If they don't find your concern inspiring, point them to the FEMA, DHS, Local Health Departments. I am attaching some links here. I won't go into all the preps you can make, there are a bunch of threads already for that.

In addition, if you are interested in this subject, it could make for a great career, and many colleges are offering degrees in the field, so toss that into the argument!

Good Luck!!

www.ready.gov...

www.fema.gov...

emergency.cdc.gov...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
First off a huge thank you for all your replies. I feel that because I'm the only one interested in survival and planning a head I have not that many people to talk to. It's great to have a haven such as this to ask my questions and get information.

getreadyalready - thanks for the links. I will be showing my parents these some time soon.

You all posted some valid answers and when I prepare B.O.B's I will do my best to make sure everyone is stocked accordingly.

new topics

top topics

join