It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Lawmakers Pass Bill to Create 'Islam Day'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The Hawaii State Senate overwhelmingly passed a bill setting aside a day as 'Islam Day'.

This seems to fly right into the teeth of the First Amendment. Plus, there is the standard argument that HI doesn't celebrat a Catholic Day, etc.

www.foxnews.com...

HONOLULU -- Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" -- over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

The Senate's two Republicans argued that a minority of Islamic extremists have killed many innocents in terrorist attacks.

"I recall radical Islamists around the world cheering the horrors of 9/11. That is the day all civilized people of all religions should remember," said Republican Sen. Fred Hemmings to the applause of more than 100 people gathered in the Senate to oppose a separate issue -- same-sex civil unions.
:
The bill seeks to recognize "the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions" that Islam and the Islamic world have made. It does not call for any spending or organized celebration of Islam Day.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

The Hawaii State Senate overwhelmingly passed a bill setting aside a day as 'Islam Day'.

This seems to fly right into the teeth of the First Amendment. Plus, there is the standard argument that HI doesn't celebrat a Catholic Day, etc.

www.foxnews.com...

HONOLULU -- Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" -- over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

The Senate's two Republicans argued that a minority of Islamic extremists have killed many innocents in terrorist attacks.

"I recall radical Islamists around the world cheering the horrors of 9/11. That is the day all civilized people of all religions should remember," said Republican Sen. Fred Hemmings to the applause of more than 100 people gathered in the Senate to oppose a separate issue -- same-sex civil unions.
:
The bill seeks to recognize "the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions" that Islam and the Islamic world have made. It does not call for any spending or organized celebration of Islam Day.

My issue of this isnt regarding just islam.. its when any religion is imbraced and promoted by government. We are already and state closely across the line of mixing with religion, we dont do ourselves a good deed further mixing government with religion. Im a christian but at the same time I respect the other individuals backyard, as the founding fathers intended.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Those are pretty much my thoughts, too. Rather than walk that fine line and invite trouble, it is best to follow the Constitution to the letter in a case like this.

No religion should be embraced by the gov't, imo.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This action on behalf of the Hawaiian State Government is utterly ripe for Civil Action indeed. If they can acknowledge Islam, and set aside a day for this very purpose, then what of such Holidays for Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism, etc.? This is extremely biased, and completely illegitimate.

new topics

top topics

join