It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an 06' R1 motor go in a 04' YZF600R?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I found a good deal on a motor from a wrecked R1. Will she go in or is it a complete impossibility? Are there any Yamaha techs here?
\
How about regular ole crotch rocket gearheads.

I use the bike for commuting and drag racing.

It will run a 12.50 at the dragstrip. The dragstrip here is at 4400ft, so you lose about 20% of your horsepower here over sea level.

Anyway I want to do a sleeper. I want it to look like a bone stock YZF600r, but have a firebreathing R1 motor.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I'm not too knowledgeable about bikes but i know that a GXSR1000 is "just" a liter motor tossed in a 600 frame, along with suspension and tire bits I'm sure but i dont know if that is the same way at Yamaha or not. Good luck with that, sounds like that will be a badass bike when your all finished. Just curious what are your trap speeds at the track, sure sounds like the altitude is killing your ETs.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
i'm not sure but does this help?

answers.yahoo.com...

and this is a little what i was thinking:

Not safe, the frame on a 600 is not designed to take all the torque of a liter (1000) motor

also found this:
www.r6central.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The Loge

My fastest pass was a 12.49@ 113.56 mph. I stock 08 cbr1000rr with run an 11.20 at this altitude. Yzf600r will run 11.25 @sea level. Altitude kills high revving engines.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
So I have determined that it is not pratical, or easily possibly, to "shoehorn" a R1 motor into the thundercat. I will get some sort of literbike as my next bike, but it will probably be a while as I am a somewhat safe rider, and I have another 20K miles left on the yzf.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Like the previous poster said, not safe at all. And by the time you got the motor in there and working, you probably could have just bought the liter bike for the same $$

It takes a sharp eye to tell the difference between the two just by looking at the swingarm ,wheels ect. Why not just put the body of a 600 on the 1000 if you want a sleeper? On some makes you could probably get away with just the stickers as they're very close in size and shape.

new topics

top topics

join