It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Elvis become a religious icon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Could Elvis, Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana become religious icons within our lifetimes? They are much more internationally known names than any one else, can they be sainted and followed? Do we really follow what is tried and true, or do we follow names that have been made? Elvis Presley,what can really top that? People have their educations, their upbringings, but does it really come down to what you see on tv and hear on the radio? Why would you follow the first church of Elvis?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I personally feel that celebs have already gained religous status. People are always looking for something in anything. Look at the people who iconize celebs. Perfect example would be perez hilton. He watches celebs as if they were Jesus themselves. He can tell you more about them than he can about himself. I personally would not follow the first church of elvis. The reason behind this is he may have been a righteous and good person but people cannot hold him in the means of being a false idol. He was a mere man with an amazing talent. BUT that does not mean he should be held as an idol in the eyes of man.

WORD

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well, absolutely. But that doesn't account for the rest of humanity. Elvis is an amazing person, full of flaws, etc. BUT that doesn't account for his cult of personality. I personally adore Elvis, but it's strange to me that people will discount Jesus, who is a name that has been known for over 2000 years, but will give Elvis street creed after just 50 years.....

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I worship Elvis. Is there something wrong with that. Twice a day I lay down one of those velvet Elvis "paintings", face Graceland, and pray.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
To claim they have "religious status" is ridiculous. Granted, they are extremely popular, but, there's nothing religious about them. Elvis should probably only be noted for his musical skill.

There's barely anything spiritual about these people. Diana, is probably the closest out of the people you listed, since she did a lot for charity, and was generally seeming selfless.. but even then, she wasn't.

Another point to add, is that, religion has always led to bad results. When it comes to spirituality, to have a good idea, is brilliant. But, to make it into a belief is silly. We're always wrong, and we always need to learn. Being spiritual is fantastic, but, to build a foundation of beliefs on something you barely understand or can't comprehend is again, silly.

I believe in an afterlife, and I believe in a higher power. But, what that is?.. I have no idea, and I don't believe we're capable of "knowing" until we get there. And, unless you're a medium or something, I doubt you "know" any more than I do

lol, I don't mean to rant. Just wanted to get my point across

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Actually, Elvis is ALREADY a religious figure. I cannot find a link to it now, but I remember years ago when i was going through my obsession with Elvis that there is a church in Memphis..I believe they call themselves "The presleytarian church of St. Elvis the Devine." I SWEAR these people at least USED to be around..maybe someone else can get the wording right and locate a link??

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well, one, Elvis is the $hit. Two Elvis was and is a definite Christian. The last record that was found playing on his record player(yes, I said record player!) was a gospel record. He was messed up on drugs for sure, but he was a God fearing, God worshipping man. He was one of the most beautiful creatures God ever created. Debate that. I dare you.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Everyday my mother takes her seat in the living room at around 6, 7 o'clock. She tunes into E-Talk Daily or Entertainment Tonight and stays tuned like a leach on a limbless man (sorry if that was a bit weird). Those programs showcasing the lives of celebrities are scary. As soon as someone like Penelope Cruz has a child they manage to fill 15 minutes of info on the damn kid. It makes me sick. These people get enough time on camera while preforming and on set. Why not just leave them alone, its what they want most of the time. I don't know about you but I don't want to know what Obama is doing on a Tuesday evening unless it involves my life. If hes getting a new presidential dog for the kids, awesome...... will the dog pass a bill to save the economy? Will the dog get the troops back from the middle east? probably not.

For every second you waste watching someone's fortune, you lose the chance to improve your own.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If God liked Elvis so much why did he make the man die on the crapper? That has to be one of the more embarrasing ways to go out. Nothing like dying with racing stripes.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antichris

lol, I don't doubt the fact that he may be a religious man. God fearing and what-not. But, my point is only that these people are not the type to look up to, and base your lives around, just because they can play guitar or they can fly into space or whatever.

To idolise someone, is fair enough. It happens to almost all of us. But, to idolise them to point of being a sacred being, is a little foolish.

Sure, someone may have fantastic musical skills.. but, that's all they gave to the world, and they shouldn't be held and put up on a pedestal, as something to aspire to, for things they didn't do.

Ah, It's very hard to make my point lol.

Elvis delivered music, and that's all. He inspired generations of music, and that's bloody brilliant.. but, to put him up as a "religious" figure is really stupid. He's not a saviour from God. He's just a man, with a brilliant talent for sound.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
K, Wow, so many people are angry at Elvis. What the duck? Elvis died where he died cuz of the drugs. Imho, you can do what you do, and then you deal with what you deal with. What? You can judge a man, for where he dies? Hope that isn't me one day. Elvis Presley, you can judge that man? Don't think so. Go ahead, argue, dare you. He is one of the most known names in society. So can you still say, he will not be a saint one day? Keep on topic people. He might very well be a saint in the next 100 yrs., like it or not.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
lol How is it being angry, just commenting on your post?

I stated my opinion, nothing more, and nothing less
I thought that you asked an honest question, without obvious bias against the results. But, you proved me wrong. If you don't want to know the answer, then please, don't bother asking in the first place

I wont bother this thread again. Take care

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Alesanjin

Dont take your ball and go home
I think he was talking about me. I made him mad with my joke about Elvis dying on the crapper.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Ok, sorry to seem angry. I am truely sorry. Yes, I will admit I am a true Elvis fan. I don't believe in idol worship. I just think it is interesting that his name carries on after all these years. Even though I am straight, I think that he was very good looking. So what? As an icon, he lives on, and I thought as an article that I read that was very interesting that people still hold him up as someone. By the way, Princess Diana was listed in the same article. It was in Vanity Fair, not the I hold that much credence in that publication, but I like to read all type of articles. It was stated in that article that all these people would be held up in the next 100 years as saints. I'm not even Catholic, but I am a Christian. But regardless, state your opionion. I welcome them all.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Elvis became a stupid, sweathog pill addicted slob who died on the toilet.
Instead of a cross you could wear a toilet around your neck.
Then everyone would know you're a real member
of the Church of Elvis.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Ok as I see it, the topic here is.
Will Elvis be worshiped as a god? I say yes give it a war and few thousand years.
Why not?
Big icon why not?
On a side note: I love- I want to be your Teddy-bear.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by antichris

Well I wouldnt put too much into who the Catholic Church makes saints. They would make a monkey with two sets of testicles a saint. Saint Double Nuts of Africa.

Then they would charge you to let him throw his holy poop at you. If one of them looks like Mary you would have to pay double.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Wow, this became so much more than I had hoped. Why so angry at Elvis ya'll?? I am asking a question, isn't that what this website is about? Sheesh. Ok, i admitted I am a Christian and an Elvis fan, but does that give ya'll the right to be nasty? i don't think so. I dare anyone to say they have had a noble death. You can't, cuz if you're replying you're not dead. Is there anyone that can respond that is so caught up in the swine flu, Obama, economics? Is there nothing else, well, I guess, other than sex?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Ok I bite.
So what does Obama,sex, and Christianity have to do with Elvis becoming a saint? what are we talking about here anyway?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
flyinffish and someboreddude, ya'll are great! Atleast there is some one thinking and responding.
Elvis ain't a saint.
Thinking much? NICE!

new topics

top topics

join