It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When to seek help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Firstly, I'm not a hypochondriac or crazy mom that takes her kids to the doctor for every sneeze and fever. I actually rarely even give my kids medicine unless they're in real pain or very feverish. I've not been too panicy about the swine flu hysteria and as far as I know there have been no confirmed or even suspected cases in our city so far.

Having said that my 8 year has been complaining since yesterday of some flu like symptoms. Yesterday severe body aches and sore throat. Today, nauseau, very achy body, sore throat and bad headache. There is no fever and no cough which I know is associated with swine flu.

My question is..what the heck do I do with him?! I know if he's got regular old flu I would keep him home from school and not worry about medical care...but the 'what if' keeps popping in my head. I know the emergency rooms are flooded right now with everyone and their grandmother worrying about every little symptom so I don't want to make it worse for them...but when would you consider that route...or even a call to the doctor without looking like a crazed maniac?

And removal from school...normally I would keep him out until 24 hrs after flu symptoms disappear...but all the websites I check say 7 days after symptom onset if it is swine flu...so I'm not sure how long to keep him out...I would be devastated if it was swine flu and I was responsible for spreading it around the school.

Just really unsure and wishing I didn't have to be concerned with this stuff!

Michelle

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Same as with other flu's I suppose, if the fever persists for 3 days take him into the doctor's office for a check up. Just keep him in bed and full of fluids, with something (tylanol or asprin) to control the fever, I find a cold cloth also helps a great deal, sort of attacking it from inside and out.

God Bless

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have the cold/flu myself. I called the doctor, and said that I don't have to go in unless I have a high fever or other unusual symptoms.

If my kids get sick, which they are not right now. I would keep them at home, give them medicine, and on the third day go to the doctor to get a doctor's excuse.

I would be thinking about taking them to the doctors and/or ER room if they couldn't keep any thing down and/or had a bad case of diarrhea. The body needs fluids. Also, you may consider getting Pedialite for younger kids, and Gateroaide or something similar for older kids to help replace electrolytes and other vitamins the body needs, but isn't getting. Especially if your child is not eating much.

Which reminds me I need to go drink something. I'll probably be laying back down in bed again soon.

join