It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.7 Tremor in UK Cumbria/Nth Lancashire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Seems to be that a small tremorhas just hit Cumbria,

I'm sure there's no real damage but interesting none the less as we don't get many there,

I'm sure there will be info soon, Or if any members live near let us know what you felt,

One to watch as there calling this a Tremor rather than a quake at the moment so could be something bigger on its way...

[edit on 28-4-2009 by asala]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Another quake, in the uk.

Seems like alot, in uk recently.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
The Sky News ticker said it was a 3.7 quake in Ulverston. I live in Millom, which is the next town over, and the house did rattle just a bit for a few seconds.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

ULVERSTON,CUMBRIA
April 28, 2009
Time: 10:22:09.6
Lat./Lon.: 54.167 -3.017
National Grid: 333.6 km E, 475.1 km N
Depth: 8.8
Magnitude: 3.7

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

Well just take care as there saying it was a tremor right now which means something larger could possibly happen,

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

Well just take care as there saying it was a tremor right now which means something larger could possibly happen,

Thank-you, asala! This is the most interesting thing to happen here since moving from Essex a few years ago.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Did you notice anything odd the last few days? Sometimes people tune in to such events causing head aches ect, or animals acting odd..

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Lancashire police say there are no reports of damage or injury so far,

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Did you notice anything odd the last few days? Sometimes people tune in to such events causing head aches ect, or animals acting odd..

I am always interested in hearing of such things but there is nothing on that front here at least. I'm practically housebound as I suffer from M.E. so I can only speak for my own dog, and Sara has been fine. When it happened she was being taken out for her walk and neither she nor my parents felt a thing.

Apart from that we haven't had any health complaints outside of my usual. Maybe if it was right under Ulverston the locals there might have noticed something.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yep seems the Transformers have arrived to revenge their fallen!

OR

the tri-pods from War of the Worlds are awakening

there are 37,000 earthquakes yearly ranging from 0.8-8.4 on the Richter scale.. with a gap of a 9-10 on the scale every 10-20 years.

i personally think the Earth is beginning to die..with everything thats happening..even all the animals are going loopy. Something's coming.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
i personally think the Earth is beginning to die..with everything thats happening..even all the animals are going loopy. Something's coming.

you really might have started that sentence with "not to be over dramatic but".

there have been a few quakes in the UK in the past year, is it normal and i never heard about them before ATS or is this a new development? is there a fault line in the UK?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

yeah..i kinda was blunt with that statement but meh thats me
=)

also there are NO major fault lines in the UK just minor ones..thats why we tend to be lucky and have little 1.2-4.2 on the richer scale.

the biggest was in Birmingham a few years back at 4.2...caused a few dodgy roof's to fall off and a couple cracks appear in side of old building..nothing major..

you could say us living in England are blessed with no threat from earthquakes. although flooding is our main threat

edit for spelling

[edit on 14/01/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

On average there are from 200 to 300 earthquakes a year in the UK, with maybe 3 or 4 of magnitude 3.0 and above - but most are far too slight for anyone to notice and mostly caused by very slight adjustment along old fault lines or isostatic rebound from the last ice age (the north of the British Isles is still rising relative to sea level).

Occasionally we get swarms which may see the same areas see several earthquakes a week for a period of time - Manchester and the Southern Uplands around Eskdalemuir have both experienced these in recent years.

The BGS website has a map and details of the larger quakes in recent years here:

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

Edit: some very usual FAQs about British earthquakes here:

www.moorlandschool.co.uk...

[edit on 28-4-2009 by Essan]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I felt/heard it in Ullswater.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I remember the last one a year or 2 ago, got coverage on Sky and stuff. Had a lot of people going on saying how pointless it was having a thread about it and stuff..

Nice one for posting it, i think its' worth noting tremors strong enough to be felt cross counties, since we're not on a faultline it makes you wonder why?

But no, this isn't fear driving people to overreact, its a 'wow, this doesn't happen often! wonder why it's happening a lot now?'. And though the uk has hundreds of mini-tremors that aren't felt, its had an unusually high number of ones that were felt over the past several years. Nice little posts, high five!

top topics

join