It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life at centre of swine flu outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Plenty of people are still moving around here but, by Mexico City standards, rush hour is quiet. They know they are at the centre of a feared global outbreak.

It appears that medical staff have been asked not to talk to reporters.

One man did talk, though.
"The third floor is where the outbreak is centred," he said, through a translator, as his cigarette burned down slowly in his right hand.

He wore a blue mask pulled down just below his mouth.

"A total of 30 people have died, some of them are staff. Including the first nurse to work with a patient with the virus."

The big unknown here is how dangerous this virus really is.
The mayor of Mexico City has said that if things do worsen, he will shut down the entire public transport system.

That would, in effect, bring this city of more than 20 million people to a halt.

news.bbc.co.uk...

We can only imagine what that is like.. Our normally busy streets and cities suddenly brought to a standstill... nothing moving except the wind in the trees and the birds fighting over any scraps left lying around.

What with the economy the way it is, and with GM breaking the news that they will lay off 21,000 jobs we face quite an extraordinary struggle at this time.

We have once well-off people living in tent cities, there are hundreds of thousands concerned about their jobs and their need to pay the bills and on top of all that, nobody knows how bad this virus is going to get.

Ultimately, our jobs and paying the bills will pale into insignificance if the virus affects any one of us or our family members. And who or what do we trust?

Do we trust our natural remedies of oranges and garlic or do we trust those that have proved to be the most untrustworthy for many years..our governments and the drugs they dish out.. The pharmas are going to make so much money from this.

There was a report on how airline shares were dropping, but pharma companies were rising fast.

If this virus gets so out of control, we may all have to face the reality that everyday when we wake up, we will walk out into a world where so many have been lost and will never walk here again. We may log in to ATS and see that so many members no longer contribute.

It could be like some bizarre science fiction film where everyone dissapeared over night and you're the only one left.

As much as this could all be a false alarm and our worst fears may never become a reality, I feel we have to be prepared. Prepared for a massive upheavel in our daily lives and routines.

If the worst happens, then I don't think any of us can even begin to imagine the outcome.. it is just too many people to think about..too many to count..too many empty cities.

cdi

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

if this is the real deal, the only thing we need to be prepared for is letting go.
sorry mods a one-liner! i'll make it up to ya.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Somebody posted a link on ATS to an interesting study on vitamin C a couple days ago. I wish I could find it but now there are too many stories. Basically vitamin C in massive doses, 5-10 gram/day for a week, wipes out influenza. Glucose disrupts the transporation of the molecule so strictly limit sugar intake for the week if, God forbid, you get the virus.

At the turn of the century, ascorbic acid was hailed as a wonder drug. Its antiviral capacity was unrivaled. Over 10,000 papers and articles were published on it from 1900-1970.

Once Salk invented the polio vaccine, drug companies put research money into "modern," patentable medicines. Vitamin C lost favor. Its not too late to stock up before the shelves are emptied.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The way I see it is to live today for today........

This minute is all we have, the now...........

Live, Love, and Laugh...........

After 47 years and much thought, this is the best I have to offer!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I live in Norway. and we got some news about people being suspected infected. its just suspected and my whole family is panicking ,but on tv they're all saying stuff like "its possible that some millions will die in process" JUST LIKE THAT. It makes me mad that they even say this..
I've calmed down, I just think we should take a breath and all calm down.This thing might be bad,but its not time to panic,we've gotta protect people around us,while we still can.

oh and this :

A two-year old boy living in Revetal in the county of Vestfold is being treated for what could be a case of Mexico swine flu, after returning home from a holiday trip with his family to Mexico a few days ago.

plus theres been 3 other people suspected of being infected,and they said that we'll get the results tomorrow,(today). but I dont think it takes so little time to analyze.

to all of you people,please calm down,start worrying if you see people in gas masks and yellow jumpsuits running around.

new topics

top topics

join