It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any detectorists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have always been fascinated by stories of hidden treasure, pirates, old coins, etc.

So, a little less than a year ago, i purchased two detectors.

A mid-range Bounty Hunter and a higher end "advanced" model by Famous Trails.

Now that the weather is warming up, i have a few sites in mind, one of them being an old amusement park from the 20s-30s.

I haven't really found anything worth alot of money, i read in another forum a gentleman found a ring, that appraised at about $20,000 USD. Detecting can be very lucrative, if you do your homework.

My coin finds to date:

US Pennies:
1968 D
1962 D
1891 IH (indian head)

Nickles
1961 x 2
1964 x 3
1942 P ( war nickel, higher silver content)
-
Dimes
-
Non-US
1964 canadian 1-cent
2000 bohemian? nickel
2001 panama 1-cent
1998 mexican $10 peso coin

One of my stranger finds is a Dom Perignon thing, that possibly came off a barrel, which i found in my own backyard.
Inscribed on it.

"moet et chandon a epernay
fondee en 1743
champagne
cuvee dom perignon
vintage"

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Great stuff..

I am into detecting but not done it in a few years now, but my dad is into it big time..

he has found way too much stuff to list here, but one of the things he found was a genuine spanish 'piece of 8'... he found it in a farmers field in the UK. Get a lot of Roman coinage and brooches and other items here.

I did find a rather old French coin, but it was too badly worn to be of any worth, which was a shame..

I also used to dig for the old Victorian bottles.. put my shovel straight through a bottle that would hav ebeen 400 GB pounds.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We started using a detector two years ago. It's strange..... we live on a rocky island in the Caribbean, and it seems like the sand is just FULL of ferric material! If you drag a magnet through the sand, in a couple of feet or less it will be covered. I would guess that this used to be a high shipping area, and with rocky shores, that it's just tiny little bits of rusted former-something. ha

So it makes detectoring kind of tricky -- all manner of false readings. Coolest thing found so far was about 30 feet of very old hand-pounded ship's chain - about 4-inch links. Found an old iron as well.

cheers

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Nice finds. The things i find the most are old pull tabs, literally hundreds so far.

I'm amazed at the amount of trash buried in the strangest places, at least i'm doing a good deed and throwing it away.

I hope to go out today and do some dirt fishing, will post if i find any treasures

new topics

top topics

join