It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Alcohol and Drug Tests for Gov't officials.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is not intended to run afoul of any long-standing ATS restrictions.

I bring this subject to light because, as many know already, there are regulations that are intended to determine and confirm that operators in Commercial Transport, to include Air Traffic Controllers, Airline Pilots, Flight Attendants, in fact, anyone involved in 'safety-related' aspects of Air Carrier Operations....and, not to forget, Truck Drivers, Railroad Engineers, and all of the associated and related aspects of those endeavors....to include all ground operations involved in the actual aspects of carrying out these procedures....are, per Congressional mandate, subject to periodic random Alcohol and Drug testing and, when appropriate, specific testing on suspicion.

Point is, mandated by Congress (we all know about DMV rules, vary by State...)

Here's the rub....WHY isn't Congress held to the same stansdards as they impose????

I suggest there should be a reciprocal requirement.....we can start at the US Congressional level....EVERY Senator and Representative should be available, at random, or when noted by two or three others, to be suspicious enough to submit to an alcohol and/or drug test.

We start with the 'random' tests, just as legislated upon the workers who hold 'sensitive safety' jobs within the Transportation Industry.

Seems to me that when presenting themselves for a vote, our elected Representatives and CongressPeople should be subject to sobriety tests. I mean, they decree it for us....it's good enough for them, too.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I have asked this same question many times over the years. They are supposed to be working for US, so why cant we have them follow the same rules that are imposed on everyone else?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I think it boils down to sober workplaces.. If I wouldn't want a long haul trucker or a heavy equipment operator to be intoxicated on the job, I wouldn't want an intoxicated person voting in congress, making policies that affect everyone..

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Here's the rub....WHY isn't Congress held to the same stansdards as they impose????

Ha ha ha hahahhahah....

Sorry, the idea of congress being held to any sort of non hypocritical standard is just insane to me.

If they were to do this, they would surely figure out a loophole. I would seriously doubt the "randomness" of the test. These criminals would most likely simply pass a law making it illegal to test them due to national security. Right after they give themselves another pay raise and pass a vote to increase the penalty for people who fail drug tests.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
They become politicians so they can party like rock stars and get away with it. I don't see them changing that any time soon, but good idea, in any case.

TA

top topics

join