It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interrelationship between Time and Lightspeed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Hi,
The relationship between relativity and time and the speed of light is something I don't yet comprehend perfectly, I'm hoping someone can clear up a few queries I have, and perhaps explain this to me well?

The way I see it, if you move at the speed of light, for some reason time never arrives is the accepted theory?
Or time stands still, or less time passes?

This feels incorrect to me, rather you would simply never see it happen, just like if you were moving at or faster than the speed of sound, you'd never hear a gunshot from behind you, although the bullet might go faster than you.

I can imagine riding a laser, you'd never be able to see wehre the laser originally shon from, but someone in the path of the laser would see that clearly, and you could see them, until you moved past them or impacted upon them.

I have the feeling you would never notice any movement anywhere except in the direction you are moving towards?
I've been thinking about the big galaxy in the picture of the huge universe, with regard to that being physically impossible, and something about that... 13 billion light years away, 800 million years old, what effects would dark matter and gravity distortion and so forth have on the light we see, could that make that seem different?

I realise this is a little unclear, but I'd appreciate some help with these ideas anyhow

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
So there was Star Trek and then a song by the Information Society called "Pure Energy" with Spock's voice.

As you approach the speed of light, time slows down, it is called time dilation, and as reach that point, you also turn into pure energy. Unless you had a hyper-deminsional spacecraft (see Richard Hoagland).

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
And as a photon of light, time stops, and the entire sphere of the universe becomes one.

To be is to be percieved..

So the question becomes, is the subjective observer in a relationship to, an objective reality?

and is there such a thing, as justice...?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
And as a photon of light, time stops, and the entire sphere of the universe becomes one.

To be is to be percieved..

So the question becomes, is the subjective observer in a relationship to, an objective reality?

and is there such a thing, as justice...?

Ok, so what that makes me think, is, time stops, from the point of view of the photon, unless you are headed towards another watch, which would appear to tick twice as fast.
I believe reality is quite subjective, but the speed of light and time are both constants.
Logically, to be moving at the speed of sound away from a gunshot would mean the echo of the shot would never quite die, whereas faster, you would never hear the shot, and you might well still hear noise coming from the direction you are travelling towards.

Is light any different?

I think the same with light, that is why the watch that the light reflects from never ticks, while you are moving at the speed of light, but any slower and you see that tick, any faster, and I'm not sure what would happen.
Human senses are based on perception of light to a degree, what yet lies beyond?
Is interesting to think about, what would happen to vision at speeds faster than light, you would literally see backwards in time, while moving forwards in time perhaps?

top topics

join