It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penalizing parents if their kids misbehave at school?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Penalizing parents if their kids misbehave at school?

caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com

British parents could soon be fined if their kids act up in school… A new government study across the pond takes a look at different ways to keep children in line in the classroom. It suggests that it’s time for parents to “share the responsibility for maintaining discipline.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Wow...just...wow....!

Pros: Teaches parents how to ACTUALLY BE parents because discipline is the responsibility of the parents. And ONLY the parents. Not the teachers, not the school administrators, not your priest, not Maury Povich, not the boot camp sergeant. Parents!

Con: This system is missing one thing. Take some of the funds collected from families of children who misbehave and award it to families of children who do the exact opposite and actually make good grades--Either with money itself or in the form of college scholarships, gas and/or grocery gift cards, etc.

Now this is the kind of redistribution of wealth I can live with.

What do you all think?

caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/15/09 by Marked One]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well that's interesting, I can see it as a good thing, but also a bad thing. I am one to believe that all issues in regards to behaviour should be the responsibility of the parents, however some schools and some teachers actually agrevate negative behaviour and provide an environment that encourages it.

What I am worried about is the schools taking this way too far and sending out needless claims of mis-behaviour based on test scores or students complaining about the actual running of the school.

Very iffy issue if you ask me.

I'm interested in seeing some other responses before I make a final verdict

Edit To Add: As far as rewarding families whose children are behaving, that's ridiculous. Children should behave as parents should be teaching their children to properly interact in a social setting.

~Keeper

[edit on 4/15/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This may sound like a good idea, but in practice there are going to be a lot of parents getting fined for things that are beyond their control. My son is in kindergarten, for example, and he is expected to sit in his seat quietly for three and a half hours doing class work. He is given two five minute breaks to use the bathroom, and then it's right back to sitting quietly. Now I don't know about you all, but I can't even sit still that long. So is it any wonder that there are several kids, my son included, who get tired of sitting still and get out of their seats? That is disruptive behavior and I would be fined for it under this plan even though the circumstances are beyond my control.

top topics

join