It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer reboot problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ok, so I have this computer I'm working on. I replaced the motherboard which is almost a perfect match. It's the same board with just some slight variances. Put it this way, Device Manager recognizes everything, with the same Windows setup.

Anyway, I removed viruses and trojans from the computer. It got really slow at scanning for viruses when scanning "c:\Documents and settings." It sped up in later sections of the C drive.

I am noticing I cannot get into My Documents, Control Panel, or My computer. I double click on them and the computer reboots. I can access games, I can access the device manager, and other programs just fine.

I kind of am leaning toward a bad hard drive in some area of it, because of the slow down in the "Documents and Settings," but I'm not sure? Unless it just has to do with the destruction the viruses caused.

*New Note.. I can access "My Documents" in the command line.

Thanks for your help,

Troy

[edit on 11-4-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
One thing you can try, presuming you have your XP(?) disc is:

start-->run--> "sfc /scannow" It will prompt to restore damaged DLLs and files. Sounds like something got corrupted with explorer (windows explorer).

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm sure the worms and stuff did its damage.

I tested the hard drive with no errors. So, it doesn't appear right now to be mechanical.

Troy

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well, I tried that. It didn't help. I ended up doing a factory restore, which did not finish, because of a "checkpoint" in the system restore that did not recognize the motherboard as the original one.

I hate crap like this. The Windows XP license should be fine with a motherboard replacement. It's the same board in nearly every way. I tried a workaround, which in the end, created a corrupt system.

Troy

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Replacing the motherboard will require a reinstallation, it is practically unavoidable unless you replace like with like, close not being good enough. Also if I remember correctly, changing the motherboard, which is a major component, basically means a new computer as far as MS are concerned though this in itself may not be an issue as far as the EULA goes as you can install the same licensed copy on as many PC's as you like provided its you who's using them and only 1 copy is being used on a pc at any given time. You might be able to get away with performing an "Upgrade" install and keep all your documents and settings, otherwise, hook your drive up to another PC and copy all your stuff off then reformat the drive and do a fresh install.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Have you booted up in Safe Mode?
-Hit F8 while it's booting-

Maybe your original mother board is still OK.

Maybe there is a pin on the processor that is not quite making contact.

Why not get a new hard drive, reinstall the OS and slave the old drive?
This way you you wipe the slate clean while still having access to your old documents.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You dont have to reinstall windows after replacing the MB. Just need to boot into safemode before MB swap (can prob do after) and rip the a couple items from the device manager, like the plug and play system, forgot the other one off hand. On reboot it redetects all hardware.

Can prob do that trick still if you hadn't nuked everything yet.

system board extensions for plug and play bios.. I think was the one... cant think of the second..

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It had a code purple error. Which I tried to fix by getting rid of a trigger than prevented it from finishing the install. It finished installing, but things were messed up.

HP has some sort of tattoo system that identifies the original motherboard with that HP copy of Windows in some way.

I got by this by using a non-HP Windows XP cd. Problems solved.

The motherboard was the same motherboard, with a few slight differences.

Imagine if you got a part for your car at the junk yard, say the fuel pump. You try to start the car, but you can't because it came off of a different car. Same fuel pump, but it doesn't work because you didn't order it for your exact vehicle. The cars computer system won't accept it.

Troy

[edit on 17-4-2009 by cybertroy]

new topics

top topics

join