It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine Can Record Dreams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Japanese make a machine that can record dreams. Very clever. But I think some peoples marriages will get destroyed when it gets even better. Best for humanity and for the world. Best dreams make good revolution. Wet dreams, get a rowboat quick! I believe the chinese machine much better...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
In my honest opinion, there is no way. As a person who keeps dream journals from time to time I hate to sound close minded on this but the problem is that this can be used for wrong purposes. All they have to do is say, "This machine can read people's minds." Now they convince the majority of this through whatever seems to pass as good evidence/surveys/"studies". And now they program the machine to show whatever they want to show. That thing cannot read anybodies dreams, but it can draw lines and pictures, whatever the programmer wants it to.

Nobody will ever be able to know what someone else is thinking, for sure anyway. They can make educated guesses and sometimes be right, sometimes be effective. You can even ask someone if they were thinking of the number 5, and now they say "yes I was!" they could be lying to you and you would never know if you actually read their mind or not. You would never know for sure.

edit: also how does it plan to record dreams that stretch time itself. 5 minute dreams that occur over 3 hours of sleep, or those rare week long dreams that occur over the span of a night? Will they start downloading the dream and say "Oh, 5 kilobytes, a little dream." And then one day they get one, "Oh crap, 300 megabytes, that's a doozy.."

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Novise]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Very interesting development. Wonder if they were at all influenced by Wim Wender's movie "Until The End of The World"? In the movie the tech was able to record the dream exactly as the dreamer had dreamed it - both audio and visual and watching the playback became the new addiction.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yeah..., and lie detectors detect lies.

Listen, people have been beginning to actually believe that they can read thoughts and such with machinery.

Yet they can't explain what human thought is, or how it works.

How much can you believe?

When they can play my dream for me; THEN I'll be ready to believe.

Right now, they are simply interpolating analog neurochemical events in a brain onto a digital platform which represents that activity in a programmed manner.

THAT IS NOT WHAT A DREAM IS.

This is just my opinion of course, and no doubt enterprising (or entrepreneurial) PhD's will disagree, especially as they meet with venture capitalists, but it is my opinion nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah not so much a fan of this particular idea, if it does happen to have any truth or possibility to it. Which I personally don't think is possible.

I'm still quite new to the Psych aspect of my schooling - but as a dreamer - I can not even try to think, of how this would be possible. The perspective of my dreams, feels too "non-understandable" by others... I don't always dream in first person which makes me wonder - if I was having a particular experience - how could the dream record what I was feeling or thinking at that particular time?

Not to mention, I think certain aspects of the dreams would be... *blurred* sometimes I don't see faces, I only feel a person (which is strange - they can be completely out of character and I'll still feel who it is). So how would a computer document that?

In my opinion, most of my dreams are matter of emotion, feelings, and energy. I don't know that I can explain it - but my dreams are full of feelings.

I'd love to see one of my underwater dreams recorded... That would be interesting.

- Carrot

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In the future there will be professional dreamers.
You can purchase their dreams at the 7/11s
The erotic dreams will be locked in a cabinet
behind the counter and you must have an ID to purchase them.
Dreams will be traded and their will be a rating system.
Movies will become obsolete

new topics

top topics

join