It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TB Skin Test- Against Vaccinations- Need Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Anyone with Medical Experience on Vaccinations

I am personally against Vaccinations, and although they have their purposes- it is a personal choice that I will not put them in my body because I have an extremely sensitive immune system, as I have Multiple Sclerosis.

Here is my issue:

In order to Volunteer with a particular group that works with the elderly, I am required to undergo a TB Skin Test. Which is essentially, them giving me a shot of TB Antigens called Tuberculin
en.wikipedia.org...

I am wondering if the Tuberculin is really another word of weakened form of the Virus, which is most vaccinations. I cant get any clear answers from what Ive found online regarding the safety of Tuberculin.

I dont want TB in my body, even in its weakened form.

Does anyone know of the contraindications of a TB Skin Test (Mantoux Test)
en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have had a TB shot before. That was before I became aware I could refuse a vaccination.

You dont know what's in the vaccination. Companies lie. Lie ALOT.

If you're against vaccinations, stay against them and find another place to volunteer.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Do you know if it was a TB Skin Test or the TB Vaccination? Apparantly they dont give out the TB Vaccinations much anymore...

Thanks for your reply!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you are worried about the test, I believe you can get a chest x-ray that will detect tuberculosis. But that's gonna cost ya.

I don't like getting vaccines or anything injected into my body, but I had to do it when I worked at an eldercare home. When I was a kid, they used to jab you with this prong like thing and circle it in ink. It didn't hurt really. They don't do that anymore. They take a needle and inject the stuff right under the skin, and there's a bubble under your skin for awhile.

If you're not comfortable with the test, maybe you should find somewhere else to volunteer. I'm pretty sure a tb test is a must if you are working with elder people/hospitals.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

It was the Skin Test.

I am against any type of needle getting near by body unless I am 5 minutes from death. That includes IVs and the like.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
You know, the more I think about it- the more I might have to volunteer with another group of people. I know the elderly have weak immune systems- I do too- but I also know I dont have TB and have never had TB and if i had TB I would have it by now bc of the immunosuppresent drugs ive been on for the past 3 years...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I understand your concern. Your best bet would be to talk to your family Dr. about it and see if he has any concerns.

I believe the test (at least here in Canada) they just inject a tiny amount just under the skin. Looks like a mosquito bite. which usually goes away after a day or so.

Again, talk to your Dr. as he would know best regarding the possible reactions with it having MS

I wish you all the best.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
First of all, TB is not a virus; it is a bacteria.

When you are tested for TB, you are injected with a sterile solution that contains only antigen extracts of the bacteria proteins which cause an immune response. It is injected right below the surface of the skin and there is no infectious bacteria in the solution; it can not cause TB.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

I know it cant cause TB but it can lead to either Cancer or a worsening of my MS.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Id love too see a doctor- except the lovely USA doesent allow people with Pre-existing conditions such as MS health insurance or free healthcare. I hate our government. Your so lucky to live in a country where they value human life and the right to be healthy!

Im going to talk to the Volunteer Coordinator tomorrow and see if they have exemption forms, like the schools have, due to religious beliefs. Maybe they will let me slip by.... Heres to hoping! Goodness who knew trying to do something good would be so much trouble!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Sounds like you should move to Canada.

It really irks me that such a powerful country like the US won't even lift a finger to help its own. I don't understand why they can't just adopt a program like ours. I know ours isnt perfect, but at least anyone can get the care they need.

It makes me wonder how many people have died because they didn't have or couldn't afford medical insurance.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I've never had or been exposed to TB. But I will say that there is something in that skin test that always concerns the medical field when it's been administered to me. The first time was the military. They didn't think too much of it, but I developed a case of warts in the area following the injection. The 2nd time I had the test administered, the doctor was ready to quarantine me because they could not determine if it was a reaction or if it was the muscle under the skin where it was injected. Can say that my brother was quarantined when he had his done in the military...only to find out it was something else. So that's my 2 cents. Be careful, feeling good doing something for someone else, is no reason to put yourself in the pickle sauce.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Oh its been awhile but I believe that the TB tine test is no problem or worry. I believe it consist of a poke that has a four prong(almost like taking a ring and turning it around and poking).

If the TB tine becomes red after 48 hrs, they would have to do a IPPD with a needle resembling a diabetic needle subcutaneous(first layer of skin, no muscle involved), and if that comes back positive(red around injection site), a chest x-ray is required.

I have done this method 10's of thousands of time with no ill effects.

I would say about 1 in a 100 would come back red and out of that(IPPD) 1-3 in a 1000 would come back red, sending them to get a chest x-ray.

But if you have a weak Immune system, it is advisable to seek a doctors advice, he will order some x-rays.

It will do no good to get a TB test with a weak immune system because it interferes with the reading, giving it a 'False" reading every time.

To let you know I'm not a doctor but have some experience in Immunizations.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by tiso_us]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I had the same thing happen to me for nursing school. I guess all medical professionals get the TB test, doctors, nurses ect. I think once a year. Once they get a positive sign, a big red bump, then they don't have to get the test any more since they will always show up positive after that.

States do have exemptions, but they are for vaccines. The TB test really should be considered a vaccine since it has the same effect on the body, but it isn't technically considered a vaccine since its a "test". Although the test if given enough to a person over the years, will develop a reaction to the test.

This is more of a vibe I've gotten, but a healthy body shouldn't be able to be infected with TB. You see it as the immune system weakens, like in the old and those with AIDS. With you being on those drugs, they'd be negligent to let you work with old people without being tested. Even without susceptibility, they have to test you for legal reasons.

If you'd like the biology experiment to occur outside your body, which would be nice wouldn't it, the QuantiFERON TB Gold is a test where they draw blood and do the tests on the blood, so it won't have any impact on your body. It isn't given every where and your health insurance probably won't pay for it. Now that I think about it, sometimes you can get an xray and have that count. It doesn't always seem to count, for a healthcare certification course an xray worked for me, but for nursing they wouldn't allow it.

I am wondering if the Tuberculin is really another word of weakened form of the Virus, which is most vaccinations. I cant get any clear answers from what Ive found online regarding the safety of Tuberculin.

TB is a slow reproducing bacteria. Tuberculin is just the protein that extends off the surface of the bacteria. When the immune system recognizes that protein, it'll attack. The protein given in the test is purified so it doesn't contain any sort of infectious potential. If you have TB, your body will be fighting off the bacteria and it will recognize the protein in the shot and react right away giving off a red spot. As for safety, like I mentioned all health professionals get it yearly from what I read. The only "unsafe" thing are maybe some of the things in the shot, like phenol I think was one chemical which can irritate the skin, but the concentration is quite low so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you are worried about the test, I believe you can get a chest x-ray that will detect tuberculosis. But that's gonna cost ya.

The TB skin test takes a good amount of time, sometimes you need to do 2 separate tests. After getting the shot, you need to go back in 2-3 days I think to have it "read". Do this twice and you're looking at a week. So if you have short notice, they can sometimes be nice and do an xray, that's what they did for me at least.

The tine test is old as far as I remember. They don't do that anymore and go straight to the mantoux test.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Thank You for all of your replies! It helped me realize that it was important to stand my ground with my decision and personal beliefs against putting foreign bacteria and virus's in my body. I had an option to have a Chest Xray done instead, but at my own cost, and since I dont have health insurance, I certainly cant afford it. Looks like I will need to find another volunteer opportunity in the meantime!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I don't know what state you live in, but in Oklahoma the local health departments administer TB skin tests for free if you are a high-risk person which includes working or volunteering in nursing homes. A chest x-ray can not always detect TB because it can also occur in other parts of the body such as the bone. The last treatment I know of if a person is positive is a year of medication taken in pill form; however, you can not miss taking the pill or it is ineffective.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I know there are a number of opportunities for volunteers that don't require TB tests. One fun thing to do is volunteer at a museum as a docent/guide (or whatever... I work in the paleo lab with fossils.) However, when I volunteered at the hospice I did have to have a TB test.

Another thing that I run into is that many places also require background checks if you're working with the public (I've had those AND been fingerprinted as part of a background check.) But, again, there are opportunities that don't require this -- such as volunteering at a local animal shelter.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
We have to get tested yearly and recently our institution went to a blood test as opposed to the skin test method.

Too many false positives.

That may be an option for you to explore.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
My concern for you would be an almost certain false positive. I have tested patients before with autoimmune diseases (R.A., Lupus, MS) and the incidence of false positives is much higher than normal.

Another poster suggested a blood test .....ITs called a whole-blood interferon (IFN-) assay. It isn't cheap, but has a much lower incidence of false positives.

Link

Hope this helps.

top topics

join