It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snail living on sunlight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Website

It appears that a living organism, have plant-like features.

Why post this in Aliens & UFOs?

Because there are those who say some alien species are plantlike in nature, and don't eat food(energy) as humans do.

Anyways thought it would be interesting.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Snails are not aliens, they come from earth you know.
Wrong place to post.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Elysia chlorotica is a very cool organism. However, it is not a plant. It does not make its own chloroplast, like a plant. It takes chloroplast from the algae it feeds on. The chloroplast is stored in it stomach, which is like a network over the entire body of the slug. This gives them their green, plant like appearance. The slug uses the chloroplast to metabolize sugar through photosynthesis. It survives off the sugar. They do not eat chloroplasts untill they are juvenile. They are red until they start to feed on algae to gain chloroplast.

Different? Yes. Alien? Most likely not.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That is fascinating! It's also a remarkably well-designed Web site, especially considering the fact that it's coming from the academic sector.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
Snails are not aliens, they come from earth you know.
Wrong place to post.

I didn't say the snails were aliens...

I am saying that an alien organism that is humanoid in features, could have similar properties.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
photosynthesis without sunlight

Maybe this article has been on ATS before, but it puts a new angle to connecting aliens and photosynthesis. If we can fit this bacteria into a food chain model here on earth, think of the implications it could have for a place like Europa.

Personally, I do not believe that photosynthesis could make enough energy to power a complex brain, but who said aliens have to be intelligient?

top topics

join