It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militia a dirty word

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
How is it that militia is accepted as a dirty word in America? Something so quintessentially American, yet we have accepted that it is synonymous with white-supremacist, skinheads and the KKK.

Yet, by definition, these groups are most certainly not militias. Is it the sheer lack of continual militia activity from early US times that allowed people to forget what militias are and there role in American lives?

If gang members were to start attaching the term 'police' or 'marines' to their street names, would the nation begin to associate those terms with gangs?

How is it that we deem it politically incorrect to say all Arabs are Jihadist, yet perfectly acceptable to accept all militias to be supremacist/kkk/terrorist??

It sickens me to see that in America today, there is a growing disdain for self-defense, self-preservation, personal responsibility, individual independence and firearms. Americans need to reclaim the term militia.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Becasue thats what our dishonest goverment wnats us to belive..think of it as re education for the later generations. Militias were around since the revolutionary war..thats what hte minute men were, more or less, along with the famous flag, dont tread on me, posing a coiled up snake ready to strike.
Ever since the mid 90's, militias have been getting a bad rap, per media and government. Heres my observation..you never hear on the news, about a militia raping a woman, dealing or doing drugs, blowing up builidings, laundering money for major corporate banks, yuo get the idea.
What always comes up on these topics though? Gangs, especially latino gangs, and governemnt associated banks or people. I jsut find it scandelous, for the obvious guilty ones, trying to make a group of people posing or causing NO harm to anyone, look like al quidas of the USA> im not a militia member myself...but they sure as hella rnt bothering anyone!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
When yuo think about it..whenever our government goes after something or someoe, its popularity. Im very sure, governement would love to disband and make it illegal to have any kind of militia. But fo course, theyde have to have a legal way or means of doig so. What could be easier and better, than over time, posing them as the evil of everything here, gain momentum on it, then disband..
An example, would be the seatbelt craze and checkpoints! It became a popular thing, so they could enforce it! Lots of people jay walk all the time, but you never read abuot it in police blotter..why? its not a popular thing, thats all.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Because the fringe supremacist element took over the name of militia. Militia means the people, you and I, our families etc. I do not think the word militia is a bad one, but I do cringe every time the corporate media uses the word when they mean the supremacist movement.

I also believe in free speech, no matter how repugnant it is personally to me. If people want to be racist and hate, that is their right to do so. I would do everything in my power to defend their right to say whatever they want. I also have a right to counter their argument, and protest those beliefs. Yet, I do not want any types of beliefs or groups banned.

Notice that I use the term corporate media instead of mainstream media. The media is neither left or right, but corporate shills. They will try to take a position, as long as they can sell people products and a bill of goods. Do they really do any stories like they did in the past? No, otherwise we would never have allowed the Patriot Act to pass. The corporate media is in bed with the politicians, so they can grow even bigger. It is, was and always will be about the dollar to the media.

This is my rant, so forgive me if it went to long.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

And the thing is, it can only get worse. Let's face it, the media, no matter who controls it, will never work to rid the news of fear, since it increases viewers. The only chance of a change of perspective, is if high profile people of good reputation and character get involved in militias. Fat chance though.

top topics

join