It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyer says prosecutors' request has 'cleared' Stevens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Lawyer says prosecutors' request has 'cleared' Stevens

www.cnn.com

Former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has been "cleared" by the Justice Department's request to dismiss his federal corruption convictions and drop all charges against him, his lawyer said Wednesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Okay let me get this straight he was charged for seven felony counts of ethics violations. He was an elected official that was entrusted to speak for the people of alaska. here i quote "Democrats nevertheless believed he might be vulnerable after news of an FBI corruption investigation in Alaska that produced guilty pleas from two close associates of Mr. Stevens, a July 2007 raid on the senator’s home in Girdwood and 2006 raids on the offices of six Alaska state legislators, including his son, Ben. In May 2007, VECO Corp. executives Bill Allen and Rick Smith pleaded guilty to bribing four government officials, including an unnamed “State Senator B" who received hundreds of thousands of dollars from VECO, an Alaska-based oil-support contracting firm, for unspecified consulting work"...

i just got thru filing my 2008 taxes and owe the FED's $612.00... This is crazy how we let a nitwit like this loose!!! why are we so blind to these officials living the high life on our money!! damn im mad!!! we need to revolt!! this sucks...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To me it sounds like we don't have all the information. Maybe Stevens turned state's evidence in exchange for his freedom and immunity? I dunno. Stuff like this doesn't just happen because some people woke up one day and decided to be stupid. I'm thinking we are not privy to the bigger picture.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have no loyalty to this guy, or whatever it is he supports or is supposed to stand for. But he did engage in activities that at least gave the impression of impropriety, and thus shouldn't be allowed in public office..., but by that token neither should 85% of our elected offcials.

But they went through all the effort to prosecute him, destroyed his re-election bid, unless he has no shame, it can be said that they humiliated him and brought extreme disrepute to his name.

Now, it turns out that the prosecution seems to have withheld exculpatory information, performed dubious transactions to get their case made and brought to court, and were generally sleazy in their conduct.

So he is cleared? In what way? Once brought, the charges were heard, and he was deemed guilty.

How does the fact that the prosecutors should be tried change the facts of the case?

This doesn't sound like justice to me.

top topics

join