It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Supersize' lions roamed Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
'Supersize' lions roamed Britain

Giant lions were roaming around Britain, Europe and North America up to 13,000 years ago, scientists from Oxford University have found.

Remains of giant cats previously discovered were thought to be a species of jaguar or tiger but after DNA analysis they were proved to be lions.

They were 25% bigger than the species of African lion living today, and had longer legs to chase their prey.

They would have lived in icy tundra with mammoth and sabretooth tigers.

Source - BBC

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Sorry mod. I was not 100% sure where to put this.
Please move if you see fit.

To note: this is not a "mythical animal" I think it is pretty factual.

So ... 13,000 yers ago Britain was home to some supersize lions! As if lions were not bad enough!

It touches upon some cave art found to date from the period about them in prides. Would like to see some of that art.

Lions appear to have been very important to early man with many depictions of them in their cave paintings, as in seen in the pre-historic cave complex at Chauvet in France.

What other crazy supersize animals were around in these times? Megaladon etc?

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Another note on this ...

If big cats were roaming Britain all those years ago then maybe the sightings that witnesses see today of big cats could be linked to this if some survived and adapted?

Or ... they are just normal sized cats seen by people with overactive imaginations ...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Pretty interesting.....

now that the citites are over-industrialized is hard to find (discover) stuff like this...

thanks for sharing..

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I suppose it would make sense, I mean if some of them just evolved and there aren't many large predators in Britian anymore, but I guess they would be smaller, espec with having smaller prey, I know we have some wild deer but we don't have wild hogs anymore, so that'd leave just the little bunnies and other rodents.

Sorry, my spelling sucks.

top topics

join