It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dilemma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Well...I am in high school and I have frequently preached against the PTB and so on...Federal Reserve...anyway, A movement began on 2 weeks ago to skip school tomorrow (Tuesday) as a sign of rebellion of budget cuts (we're losing like 20 teachers, some electives and the surviving teachers will have a heavier workload).

I don't want to let anyone down. I did say I was going to skip, but really, I doubt it will matter. Odds are, like 20 people will skip. Pointless.

I don't feel like walking into a sh!tstorm when my parents get home unless it's worth it. So, hence my dilemma. Honestly, I don't care about the school, it's just charity to me.

Yeah, I'll probably go, even though I'll feel like I lost my will. I'm totally ready for when TSHTF, I have been for a while and I'm not alone. I just don't think this is how to start anything.

What would you do in this situation?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, telling my parents that you had vicious diarrhea usually worked for me in high school... LOL

[edit on 30-3-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Great post!!!!!

Do what you feel in your heart. That is all I can or WILL say.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If you just skip school then you will have shown nothing.

We had a student at my school that was going to be kicked out for his hair and clothes,. The students protested all day in front of the school instead of coming to class,.

The principals response? Instant exams that day for the remainder of the students. The exams were to be 10% of the year for that one test per subject that day.

Needless to say, camera crews got involved and parents showed up. The student remained.

If you skip, protest. Otherwise you will be the only one that loses. Plus the teachers.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It is a shame that you waited until the day before the plan was to be executed to bring this up for discussion. I'm sure you could have received many ideas to make it more effective and successful.

There is a chance that few people will skip and make any impact. However, as you have said, you did tell people you would do it. So, if for nothing more than showing you stick by your word, do it. Perhaps in the future, people who were on the sidelines this time will have confidence in future attempts.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You may wish to consider doing something that will make a difference if you do skip.

Don't do like I used to do and go surfing, or sneak out to the beach with a girlfriend, or other completely wasteful - did I say that - selfish endeavors.

I'd also think about even discussing it intelligently with my parents calmly, and with conviction.

They just may find your awareness and empathy to be something of note, and be supporting.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel
The principals response? Instant exams that day for the remainder of the students. The exams were to be 10% of the year for that one test per subject that day.

When they try to counter attack with tactics like this, it requires a true commitment, if the test was 10% for the year, get everyone to stay out for a week or more, than the failure rate of the school would be so bad, the principal would risk losing their job.

But you do bring up a good point, absences alone are not too effective. If there were a few people in place to blanket the empty chairs with signs or for those skipping to protest en mass, then it would be more productive.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well, here is the ending.

I did go, and found that most other people who had been like me had gone too. I went because I realized this whole thing of protest was simply not my fight; Everyone else went because they knew that the idea had not gotten much attention.

I did the right thing in my eyes.

Our time will come, soon, over the summer perhaps?

join