It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Life of Brian" Resurrected in Welsh Town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

"Life of Brian" Resurrected in Welsh Town

www.truthout.org

The historic town of Aberystwyth, Wales, was founded in 1109 on a land grant from King Henry I, conquered by Prince Harry of England in 1408 and razed by Parliamentarian troops in 1649. It erected the first-ever Welsh Evangelical Church in the mid-20th century. But the town didn't become relevant to the international comedy community until 1979, when it banned Monty Python's classic Jesus spoof "Life of Brian."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I clearly recall the dozen or so picketers outside the theater when my brother(a then theology student), and I(a philosophy student) went to view the film. What in God's name were these erstwhile religious followers protesting? After viewing the film, we could come to the only possible conclusions: 1.They are ignorant of their own religion's teachings. 2. They are selective in their beliefs in relation to their religion. 3. They are intolerant of any views that do not conform to their narrowly subjective viewpoint.

Are we slowly entering the Age of Reason? Banning books, movies, artworks, etc., are tyrannical forms of oppression! Knowledge is freedom. Ignorance is death.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me, you don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
The Crowd (in unison): Yes, we are all different!
Man in Crowd: I'm not...
The Crowd: Shhh!
en.wikipedia.org...

This was IMHO, one of the funniest movie of all time. People protesting this movie don't really understand what it is all about. I ask this, do you think your Jesus would ban this movie?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly" - Terry Jones (Life of Brian director)

[edit on 30-3-2009 by grandnic]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Any movie that came from the minds of the Python troupe is genius personified, Some of the absolute best satire in this world. I have the entire collection and it was, and is, worth every penny I spent!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
There's something fundamentally wrong with anyone who wants to ban Monty Python, some kind of congenital humor defect.

Trivia: when HMS Sheffield was hit by an Exocet in the Falklands, the crew of the burning destroyer was singing "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" in unison as they tried to fight the fire that was engulfing the ship.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Religious fanatics don't have a big sense of humor when their faith is the subject of humor. Just look at the number of movies, book and artwork that have been banned because of perceived blasphemy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Trivia: when HMS Sheffield was hit by an Exocet in the Falklands, the crew of the burning destroyer was singing "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" in unison as they tried to fight the fire that was engulfing the ship.

This is very good, an interesting bit of trivia !

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Now thats just plain KOOL! It should be mandatory to hear about this in other services. Perfect espris de corps !!

Zindo

new topics

top topics

join