It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
That movie I watched last night is REAL...don't worry, Bruce Willis died trying to save the world, and Ben Affleck survived.

Sorry about that.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I've seen a meteor come down in person... actually two, if you'll believe it.

Other than the color of the meteor, their eye-witness descriptions were pretty close to the two meteors I got to see...

Only the two I saw didn't produce a loud noise... so the meteor they saw must have been either traveling incredibly faster, or was larger than mine.

The color is indicative of the material the meteor is composed of.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by johnsky]

Oh that is cool. I dont know much about astronomy. I saw one come real low before it burned up once down in Galveston Texas. I was camping there. Lots of beautiful stars visible at night right on the coast. (We were 100yards form the beach)

The one I saw made a nice green color. It was VERY pretty. It seemed to break apart and burn completly up before it hit anything. Like you, I heard no sound acompanied with it.

I want to go back out there just to watch the stars though. I am telling you, it was a grand site! seeing all the stars with no light pollution to interfere! So beautiful and quite humbling actually.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

Yes there is.

The Solar System is moving constantly, and does encounter regions of the Universe with higher concentration of charged particles, as well as gases and matter, which includes asteroids, and meteors.

All the stories from almost every culture on Earth about a large planet called Wormwood, Marduk, Nemesis, and Nibiru among it's many names does exist, and when it passes by the Solar System it brings devastation.

Those stories which appear on almost every culture on Earth are no myth.

www.lbl.gov...

Although there are, and there have been many hoaxters trying to profit from this, the question remains. What is affecting the Solar System so, that the magnetic field of the Sun is weakened, and all Solar activity is reduced at levels not seen in over a century or more. What is causing the EArth's own magnetic field to begin weakening since 1845, almost at the same time as the Sun's magnetic storms started getting stronger, and the Earth's magnetic field is now weaker than it has been for thousands of years or more.

Something is changing the dynamics of the entire Solar System. Although I can't say with 100% certainty it is Nemesis, or Nibiru, there is a good possibility that it is, and as the ancient texts of several cultures explain, this companion star passes through the Solar System bringing chaos.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

You like to watch the stars? Try West Texas. The McDonald Observatory is close to my land oer thar. It's there for good reason. There is No man-made light in site to interfere with the stars' illumination.

Astronauts train in the area since it most closely resembles the terrain on the moon. Watch out for rattlesnakes; most 'obervers' wear snakeproof boots. Many Rattlesnakes and 'others' line the roads at night in wait for roadkill. Careful out there. If you go, try to visit:

McDonald Observatory

Big Bend National Park

It's 'another' world out there though very interesting and peaceful.
There are more varieties of flora and fauna in West Texas than any other high mountain desert, or any other desert in the world.

The High Mountain desert of West Texas

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Very interesting, the descriptions in my view describe a newer take on meteor interaction with the atmosphere, a theory that takes plasma into consideration.

Meteors may not be ejecting material through ablation only, the evidence does seem to suggest that the incandescence, flickering and disjointed flare ups is a result of an electrical interaction with the atmosphere.

A new field of thought is arising on the subject that can account for the things that gravity and friction cannot. Think about it, a meteor entering the atmosphere will be subject to a rapid charge differential.

So is it friction or the result of a short circuiting double layer? is the noise a shockwave or electrophonic pop? are the exploding meteors the result of friction or electrical stress? why do we find meteors without craters and craters without meteors? is impact the cause of cratering or the result of electrical arc scarring?

Armed with a new perspective new answers can be found. The electrical interaction can explain much more than the old friction paradigm IMO.

Welcome to the electric universe.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Then she saw something that looked like a comet moving low toward the ground; it was blue in front followed by orange and appeared to be the shape and size of a refrigerator.

hamptonroads.com...

The shape and size of a refrigerator.... sounds like it was quite large.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
2009-03-30 10:56:26 - Explosion - USA

EDIS CODE: EX-20090330-21077-USA
Date & Time: 2009-03-30 10:56:26 [UTC]
Area: USA, State of Virginia, Suffolk / Virginia Beach area,

Not confirmed information!

Description:

Emergency crews fanned out across the city looking for whatever caused a loud explosion Sunday night. At around 9:45 911 dispatchers started receiving calls from people reporting a light in the sky followed by a loud boom. Some reported that the explosion caused their homes to shake. However, emergency crews could find no evidence of any kind of explosion. No injuries, fires or damage were reported. The National Weather Service had few answers. Jennifer McNatt, a meteorologist said the service had been in touch with the Navy, Air Force and NASA, but none of those organizations had any unusual activity to report. Officials at Norfolk International Airport had received reports of the light and explosion, but said nothing wsa out of the ordinary at the airport. The National Weather Service did tell officials in Virginia Beach that the reports of the light and the bang were coming in from Maryland to North Carolina. Several callers to WVEC-TV reported their doors and windows shook.

The National Weather Service released this statement at 11:17pm Sunday:

Numerous reports have been called in to this office and into local law enforcement concerning what appeared to be flashes of light in the sky over the Suffolk/Virginia Beach area. We are confident in saying that this was not lightning...and have been in contact with military and other government agencies to determine the cause. So far...we have not seen or heard of any damage from this and will continue to inquire as to the cause.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Streaking lights, explosions
Now this is in the local newspaper. "lights" / "explosions"? More than one or more than one report? Strange how the next day the story deepens, and there is little new info. Read through the comment section. A lot of locals telling what they saw. One person claims the coast guard has put a media blackout on NEW info coming out.

Submitted by yeldarb215 on Mon, 03/30/2009 at 1:43 am. so apparently the coast guard has put out a media blackout which means the media isn't supposed to update anything else and that the government isn't allowed to give any info to the media at this time... thats really sketchy and weird... 4 explosions over 4 hours and fire balls? something weird is happening and there are thousands of witnesses to it

BUT... There is no proof of a blackout. Just one person's opinion.
I think this was a meteorite. I'm waiting for the local news to say it was a meteorite! How hard could it be to find the thing?

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Heres the number for a local news station 757-928-6479. Someone should call and ask if they have any news.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroid

Originally posted by yellowcard

Hmmm. Has someone else noticed how many rocks are coming from the sky lately? Is there something bigger out there we should be worried about?

I find the vast amount of plane crashes to be more disturbing, frankly.

The submarine crashes get me. Doesn't anyone use radar anymore? Then there was the ghost in the castle but that doesn't mean these are all related.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by mandroid]

Poorly directed matrix shows signs of breaking down? I don't know but how often does at the same time two subs and two satellites collide. As well as a recent close call for a near collision with the space station of "space debris". There is a first for everything, but why all at once?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Strange. I was awake all the way until 12 AM, but I do not recall any noise or lights.

I live in Norfolk, btw.

Edit: I was reading on news comments on one of the above link, and it seems other people who were focused on something like TV did not hear anything. I was playing WoW and watching TV, so that probably had something to do with it. Also, I'm disappointed that I missed it

[edit on 30-3-2009 by free_form]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Weird that the Emergency Disaster Information Service is listing this

RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service

I would be wearing masks today if I was you all. In case it was some kind of attack or something. Keep in mind that Hampton roads is one of the most densely populated military areas in the United states. Scary for sure!

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
News with Video

Here's Wavy.com with a video in the upper left.

Some wacky comments...seems to down play the event in a strange "fun" event.

A young woman says it was "cool."
A young man said it could have been a "party at the beach."

yeah, right!
No new info

edit- spelling AH!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Dude I been thinking the same thing, seems like an awful lot of space rocks being reported lately. Calm before the storm, I hope not.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Of course there is, we just never hear about it till it nearly passes us almost ending our miserable little lives.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well first of all , its not so suprising that we are currently enjoying some strange space weather. We are passing through a comet tail as far as I am aware so theres a slightly higher probability of atmospheric penetration. Also , remember that there are cometary events of varying degrees of severity every year. Persuid (spelling?) showers being one regular event which never fails to impress. If every one of the folks on the board today, was a stargazer of any expirience, there might be less alarm amongst the posters. Seriously, its a busy old sky , and the more you look , the busier it seems to get.
Someone mentioned the strength of the magnetic feild of the Sun in an earlier post. Thought I would throw some information down on that. The period of solar activity that we are soon to enter, may see some of the most powerful solar storms ever seen , or at least, since the 1800s. Reports on the BBC, and available via the NASA website (please look for yourselves because I am A) at work and B) cross eyed from counting leaflets lol
) Currently the sun is in a very quiet phase, barely any sunspot activity, and generaly calm as can be. Historicaly this is usualy followed by a period of extreme activity. Some scientists are of the opinion that the solar storms which are being predicted (to strike between now and 2011) will be so powerful that light effects similar to the northern lights , will be visible in equatorial regions as well as at the poles. They also speculate that these storms will be so powerful, that powergrids,and heavy current carriers like large generators will be seriously affected. The scope for infrastructure breakdown of this nature is enourmous. So anyway , what I am saying is that infact the sun is no more or less powerful than its ever been. It just goes through phases of power , the cyclic speed of which seems drawn out to us mere mortals, but in universal terms, thats just its ole heart beating hard while it brings light and life to our little rock. Dont worry , the lights havent gone out yet.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Not that this has any connection but I thought I would post this you never know.

I am located close to Philly and last night we had a freaky fast storm. The clouds were scary looking then a huge burst of wind followed quickly by ice balls (HAIL) for like 2 minutes then a few thunder blasts then heavy rain for about five minutes, here and gone real fast.

It was strange to say the least but I think the times are different.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
www.wbaltv.com...

Baltimore TV is now reporting on it.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
Weird that the Emergency Disaster Information Service is listing this

RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service

I would be wearing masks today if I was you all. In case it was some kind of attack or something. Keep in mind that Hampton roads is one of the most densely populated military areas in the United states. Scary for sure!

-Kdial1

Those guys list everything so it doesn't necessarily mean it is a disaster.

I have tried to find a radar and doppler run for that time period and can only get up till 9pm last night local time. Are there any weather junkies that know where the loops are from that time period. If they were seen in those loops we would get some idea of speed and height. if they are not captured they were too high or too small indicating their bark is worse than their bite.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Now I can visualize it because I have seen the trails behind meteors and even heard a weird noise.

The "weird noise" might well have been "electrophonic" sound which is sometimes associated with meteors:

Another form of sound frequently reported with bright fireballs is "electrophonic" sound, which occurs coincidentally with the visible fireball. The reported sounds range from hissing static, to sizzling, to popping sounds. Often, the witness of such sounds is located near some metal object when the fireball occurs. Additionally, those with a large amount of hair seem to have a better chance of hearing these sounds. Electrophonic sounds have never been validated scientifically, and their origin is unknown. Currently, the most popular theory is the potential emission of VLF radio waves by the fireball, although this has yet to be verified.

Source: The American Meteor Society

A year or two ago I heard a series of quick booms and looking back I wonder if I should have looked out at the sky to look for light.

Once you've heard the booms, it's too late. Sounds usually arrive a few minutes after the light is seen.

Where did this thing land? Ocean?

Without looking at a bunch of witness reports, that may be hard to work out. It may well have ended up in the ocean.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join